GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plug that goes into the soundgate honpdsdr cable BROKE on my unit. I was getting odd symptoms like it losing the left channel when I went over bumps. Then I would get low volume altogether. When I attempted to remove the cable that goes from the iPod to the box, it came loose from the main body and all 14 wires pulled out of the tiny connectors within.

Not sure I can repair it. Anyone have one? I only need a short one and I remember that some folks got a long one from Joe to replace the short one so they could hook up if they had it under the seat.

I put a note in for Joe but I'm just curious if anyone has one that they will send to me. Otherwise, I will be getting set up for micro surgery..... :cry:

PM is OK, but I will keep you apprised of any progress I make. I'm posting here to warn anyone who tries to remove that plug, be gentle because IT IS NOT GLUED TOGETHER! I relies only on friction to hold the business 14 pin end end to the main body.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
The plug that goes into the soundgate honpdsdr cable BROKE on my unit. I was getting odd symptoms like it losing the left channel when I went over bumps. Then I would get low volume altogether. When I attempted to remove the cable that goes from the iPod to the box, it came loose from the main body and all 14 wires pulled out of the tiny connectors within.

Not sure I can repair it. Anyone have one? I only need a short one and I remember that some folks got a long one from Joe to replace the short one so they could hook up if they had it under the seat.

I put a note in for Joe but I'm just curious if anyone has one that they will send to me. Otherwise, I will be getting set up for micro surgery..... :cry:

PM is OK, but I will keep you apprised of any progress I make. I'm posting here to warn anyone who tries to remove that plug, be gentle because IT IS NOT GLUED TOGETHER! I relies only on friction to hold the business 14 pin end end to the main body.
I did the same thing. I wrote the company and they sent me a new cable.
Jolene Haven
3100 N Husband Street
Stillwater, OK.
(800) 256-0808 x 7256

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of KICKER.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:43 PM
To: Jolene Haven
Subject: [Customer Support] HONPDSDR soundgate for GL1800
Randall R Davis sent a message using the contact form at
http://shop.kicker.com/contact.
I installed a HONPDSDR soundgate device on my Honda Goldwing and have broken the cable that connects the ipod to the soundgate device. Is it possible to get a replacement cable?
Thanks
Randall

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Randall

Thanks. I will try that now.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My attempts to repair the cable were as yet unsuccessful. If I cannot find one I may go radical and cut the cable then form a plug out of epoxy.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pedro

Yup. That's the one. My wife worked at Packar/Delphi and I have the tools to disassemble my current connector. RIght now, I have gone to my old method of using the iPod on AUX with a Scoeche controller, but it does not like the iPod Touch much.

I am not having a good week. My Roady XM burned up, then this happens. I have a long list other than those two, but I won't bore anyone with that.

Note: If you call XM and tell them your radio burned up so you want to cancel, they will send you a free radio. I'm waiting on it to arrive.

PS: Pedro. Thanks for the pointers here and also for the Cobra external key info. Worked like a charm. Now I have HAM and CB on my intercom and I can use both in the "bush" when hunting with my Quad. :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

NOTE: Well, my luck is holding out. Those connectors are on two week back order...... C'est la vie

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank Randall for the pointer. I spoke to Jolene and she managed to get me a cable but it took two weeks. It was free, so who can complain? I sent a thank you note to both Jolene and Sara both of whom were instrumental in finding my cable for me and I want to extend my thanks to Randall as well. I see absolutely NO REASON to unplug that cable ever again PERIOD. I have it supported as it is plugged in inside a box that will not allow anything to put any tension on it.

Every time my HONDPDSDR has "bugged out" unpluging the iPod itself from the other (dock) end of this cable then going through the reset procedure for the iPod (NOT the HONDPDSDR re-install procedure) has fixed it. I still have not had to go through the re-initiate the HONDPDSDR sequence for about a year by following these steps:

--From time to time (each time you sync is a good interval), reset your iPod using instructions for your particular unit at the web site below:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1320

--After a sync from your computer (now would be a good time to "reset" it), always start your iPod playing a song from the playlist you are planning to play before plugging in the docking plug (a bit of alliteration for fun).

--Before turning off your key, set the GL audio unit to AUX thus pausing the HONDPDSDR interface and your iPod before robbing it of power. After start up, just tap the CD button and you're back in business.

--It is wise to turn off your wireless & bluetooth on your iPod so as not to deaden its battery if parked for a long time. Both the iPod and your HONDPDSDR don't like that totally dead iPod battery. This will often cause the HONDPDSDR to need itself rebooted as well. Lewis' unit presents no problem here because it charges even if your bike is off.

For Pedro who has rescued me now three times, thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Soundgate HONPDSDR and have issues with it. My issues are that it just stops working! It seems like it happens 2-3 times a year and most often it is after hitting a bump in the road. This year it has happened twice. First time was after taking it down off the center stand and yesterday was when I simply shut it off at a gas station, then back on (and it no longer recognized it. I was able to remove the seat, unplug the supply in side and plug it back in and it now works fine.

I am curious if anyone else is having this issue. I am not sure whether I should replace the unit, or the cable if it keeps happening.

Todd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts