GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone that has these in stock? I won't need one for a few months, but I assumed I would need to buy one well in advance. I had heard they were discontinued pending a new version of the tire, but I have not seen any available.

· Registered
10,656 Posts

· Registered
5,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terry, I'm running a driveguard on my 18 right now. And there's a new one in my garage right now on hold for another bike but if you come here I'll be happy to sell to you and install. Personally, I'll be going back to either a Yokohama avid envignor or try a P1.

I have used several Yoko Avid Envigor tires. IMO it is a great RF tire, but not so great as a tire for the twisties. I have worn out a couple of P1 tires, but even with 36+ PSI in it, does not seem to want to turn easily. I think it is easier to turn than a Yoko, but not as easy as a Snowcontrol. I am very happy with my Snowcontrol, but I can't find a replacement. I have a partially worn out SnowControl, but am not excited about having a tire with significant use remounted.

I'm not sure I really want to ride to your part of the country just to get a tire mounted.

· Registered
2015 F6B De Luxe
41 Posts
Been looking for a P-7 Pirelli 195-55 R16, also being discontinued, really liked that tire, and might consider the Yoko, somewhat like twisties, not so aggressive as on a rocket, but within the F6B limits of physical restraints.

Would like inputs, $170 the avg selling price.

· Registered
5,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have ordered a couple of SnowControl Series 3 tires that I'm hoping arrive the first part of February. If the company actually delivers the tires to me, I'll let everyone know where I found them. At this point I don't feel I can recommend them as all they've done is take my money!

I like the Snowcontrol for its handling but would prefer a slightly heavier tire to get better run flat performance. Unlike many here on the forum, I don't like the way the Yoko Avid Envigor feels in corners. I think the Yoko really resists quick S-curves. I know running the Dragon with a SnowControl was way easier for me than with the Yoko.

· Registered
10,656 Posts
Been looking for a P-7 Pirelli 195-55 R16, also being discontinued, really liked that tire, and might consider the Yoko, somewhat like twisties, not so aggressive as on a rocket, but within the F6B limits of physical restraints.

Would like inputs, $170 the avg selling price.
I don't have personal experience, the word from others is the P7 is a slip-n-slide tire, unlike the P1 which has great reviews. I have probably 100k miles on yokos. Almost got the P1 last time, got the driveguard. Don't like it as much as the yoko.

· Registered
2015 F6B De Luxe
41 Posts
Well, good news, it seems that the store who told me that the P-7 is discontinued was potentially wrong, I found that America's tire has them, and bought some with a 5-22 dot code on it, $200 out the door with 10 % sales tax included, CA for you.

As for slip-n-slide, I have not experienced that event with the 20K I put on them, doing several Iron butt rides and lots of scenic mountain passes, might be just me having a GOOD tire or knowing how to ride :).

All good, that's why we have choices.

· Registered
2015 F6B De Luxe
41 Posts
I wrote bought some, should read I bought one, and my riding buddy who had similar riding experience and mileage bought his at the same time at the same store.

Just in case you all wondered why I purchased multiple :).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts