GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to install a digitalmeter voltmeter on the right-side panel below the lock for the pocket and I want to connect it to a source of power that is always on. The meter draws such a small amount of current that always-on isn't a significant draing on the battery and during extended periods in the garage it is hooked up to a battery tender anyway.

It will be nice to see at a glance that the battery voltage is good without using the ignition key.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One word of caution: Digitals are nice but beware of LED's in the sunlight. I have this one:

And it washes out badly in the sun. When not in direct sun it's great otherwise... Photo was taken in my garage which accounts for the brightness and the shadow.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
Wish I had good news for you on this one. You will have to run a wire back to the battery for constant power.
Like Lewis says...and be SURE you put a fuse in that line NEAR the battery
so there's no danger of bad things happening. :)
DC

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
while on this subject, I want to have a constant power to one of the handle bar switchs, the big bike or kury, that doesn't matter....can I cut one of the jump wires inside the swtch box and run a hot wire from one switch to a AUX fuse panel that has a "always hot terminal"???? I want this for show LED lights, so I can turn them on without the key....

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Yes, that should be no problem - it'll be easier to use the one at the end of the jumper string (the one on the right? - I can't remember). You'll need to fish the new wire up through the existing black jacket (don't forget to fuse it).

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Thanks Jon
I though I could that without a problem, just wanted to check with the Gurus...

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts