GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are starting to plan for winter and were thinking of trailering the bike (through the snow) to the coast of South Carolina. Plan would be to spend the month of March and tour around SC, GA and down the florida keys. What can we expect for weather? Any tips and info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
To give you an idea what the average temps would be go to weather.com and it will let you access a monthly forecast of average highs and lows. Here in Georgia March can be a mixed bag of great to terrible weather. We have had some pretty good snows in March but then again we have had pretty docile months with perfect temps. Bottom line is you just never know in March.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I would suggest move it to April.

Hard to tell about March, it can change by the day and by the year.

Sometimes it is nice, normally it will be a low of 30 degrees at night and a high of around 60 by day. But many days heated gear is still required to be comfortable in March.

Some years a lot of rain in March, Wind and about every third year we get a huge snow or ice storm out of the blue. It does not last long, maybe a couple days and the main roads are clear again but does happen occassionally and the largest snow storm I have ever seen in South Carolina happened in March.

Most of the time perfect riding weather. If you like to ride fully dressed out, not too cold, not too hot. But it does throw you a curve sometimes with ice, snow and rain.

April it starts staying around 50 at night and up to about 70 during the day and bad weather other than rain is behind you.

It even snows in Florida in March, or gets cold and ruins the orange crop and so on.

Just depends, it varies, year to year, and will change by the day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Have no issue with riding in 50-60 degree weather. Maybe we would be better to head to the keys and then work our way to SC at end of March.

·
Registered
386 Posts
SC plans

That would be a smart choice. Agree with all suggestions above.

Marc

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
south

I spent last Dec in central Florida. We rode to Key West twice and if I hadn't had heated gear, I wouldn't have ridden most days. I came away thinking that heated gear would be more usable in the south than it is here in the north.:nojoke:

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts