GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In August we are planning a trip to Sturgis, SD .. we plan to go through Jackson, Ms.. Memphis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, . Sioux Falls then to Rapid City..
On the way back we will travel to Kansas City .. then to Oklahoma City, Dallas, Shreveport then home.

While in South Dakota we will see Sturgis for a couple of days... then we want to see other things...can anyone recommend any rides or things not to miss while in the area ?

tia..

cosmic

·
Registered
652 Posts
Remember you are not too far from Yellowstone when you get to Sturgis. We did SD and then Yellowstone last year.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Don't forget Deadwood...to the south of Sturgis, up in the hills!
About 70 miles east of Rapid City is "World Famous" Wall Drug...You gotta stop in for a look see and a hot beef sandwich when heading to Sioux Falls.
JU

·
Registered
34 Posts
Heading west on the interstate between Sioux Falls and Sturgis some good places to stop are Wall Drugs (www.walldrug.com) and the corn palace (www.cornpalace.org), both good places to take a break from the heat. Also, you should drive the loop through Badlands National Park (www.nps.gav/badl/). Strangest terrain, looks like another world. The movie STARSHIP TROOPERS was filmed there. That was where they had the big battles between the giant bugs and the troopers. Not much else until you hit the Black Hills area.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Also be prepared to wait up to 1 1/2 hrs for gas and temps can be in the 100's.It will also be windy mostly a cross wind.

John

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Everything so far is right on. For sure if you go to Rushmore, go at night and see them light the mountain...one of the most patriotic and hair tingling things I've seen that's man-made. If you do go over toward Yellowstone, go through Bear Tooth Pass...very cool riding to and through it and back the other side. You can loop back and through a town called Thermopolis and go to the hot springs...feels good after riding a bit.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Beautiful country...you have to do at least the three rides below.

·
Registered
883 Posts
It's pretty boring riding on I-90. My suggestion would be to take hi way 44 across the state. (access off I-29 just south of Sioux Falls)More things to see & the road has some character.

44 runs along the South side of the Badlands. If you decide to go to Wall Drug, you can catch the loop road & take it to Wall. Then take I-90 the rest of the way into Rapid City.

Some of our favorite rides through the Hills.

Spearfish Canyon Scenic Hi Way....runs from Spearfish to Cheyenne Crossing. There is a reastaurant located at the crossing that has some of the best pie on the planet! Spearfish Canyon has pretty good Brown Trout fishing!

Hi Way 385 is the main North South hi way through the Hills, you'll spend a fair amount of time on this.

Nemo Road, from Rapid City through Nemo to Hi way 385...fun road!

Pigtail Hi Way....You can see Mt. Rushmore through the tunnels! Definitly ride this after the night lighting of Mt. Rushmore....it is absoultly fantastic!

Needles Hi Way....Custer State Park

Iron Mountain Road.....Custer State Park

Wildlife Loop, ...... Custer State Park

Ride from Lead / Deadwood to Town of Rochford....Moonshine Gultch Saloon is in Rochford & has the best homemade fries & burgers. Quite an experience :wink:

Ride Safe,

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good information so far. One thing that I'd add, is that I'd sure suggest avoiding riding through Saint Louis! Consider crossing the mighty Mississippi at Davenport Iowa instead. Way less traffic, and not so crazy! I've been through Saint Louis many times, and over half of them I've been held up by a crash, often with one or more cars completely upside down! Bikes sometimes tip over, cars shouldn't! :shock:

Devil's tower, in Eastern Wyoming is worth a side trip, as long as you don't expect the starship from "Close Encounters" to still be there! :D

As soon as you get a few miles away from Sturgis, almost any road, except I-90 makes for interesting riding.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
The Crazy Horse Monument is awesome, and easy to spend quite a few hours there if you take in the movie and really check things out. I liked it much better than Rushmore.

A couple of days in Sturgis? Are you going during the rally? We went in June and it was a closed up ghost town. The ride from Deadwod to Sturgis is nice though. We did the Badlands, and as far as I'm concerned, it's Death Valley with a funky landscape...we fried riding through it.

Going through STL isn't that bad if you hit it at the right time...Midnight to 3AM. :)

Have a great trip no matter what you decide to do, or how you're going to get there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
sturgis ride

I have been to Sturgis and I must say that everywhere around there are some really neat rides and scenery. I would say that unless you really want to be there during the rally that earlier is much better. The motels are cheaper and more available and the riding is more pleasant because you really don't have as much traffic. There are a lot of bikes riding those roads out there during the rally weeks and I found it to be a little distracting while trying to take in the scenery while driving. Also if you are camping you have many more choices and it is much, much quieter. It can be really peaceful out there.

Anyway the whole trip is worthwile no matter when you go or what you do. Rout 2 thru the sandhills of Nebraska is sort of neat.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Go north of Sioux Falls to Highway 34 and go to sturgis on a wonderful two lane road. Goes through Pierre and then to strugis, great road to ride

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
In August we are planning a trip to...
That's pretty interesting as I have a very similar trip planned to Sturgis and then on to southwestern Montana but about two months earlier.

Two books to consider is Road Trip USA by Jamie Jensen and Great American Motorcycle Tours by Gary McKechnie. Both offer info on back road rides through that part of the country as well as other US spots.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you can avoid it stay away from Sturgis during bike week, lines , looky loo's , no deals, dangerous newby drunk riders, The black hills riding is awesome ,but you won't enjoy it during bike week.
If you do go during bike week, try the weds or thrus before the official start, enjoy the $6 beers , overpriced accessories and really ugly women
(after my 15yrs of trips , it isn't a party or a legend anymore, it's commercial nighmare)

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
twyn said:
The Crazy Horse Monument is awesome, and easy to spend quite a few hours there if you take in the movie and really check things out. I liked it much better than Rushmore.

A couple of days in Sturgis? Are you going during the rally? We went in June and it was a closed up ghost town. The ride from Deadwod to Sturgis is nice though. We did the Badlands, and as far as I'm concerned, it's Death Valley with a funky landscape...we fried riding through it.

Going through STL isn't that bad if you hit it at the right time...Midnight to 3AM. :)

Have a great trip no matter what you decide to do, or how you're going to get there.

Yep... we will be there during the rally..I have never been to Sturigs bike week.. did Daytona 8 or 9 times.. we plan to have fun.. all in all.. it prolly will be right at 5,000 mile trip..

cosmic

cosmic

1 - 18 of 18 Posts