GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about making an out of state purchase from Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga, TN. What should I ask for before I seal the deal and drive up there from Louisiana??

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
They will I outfit their bikes with a number of options you may, or may not, want. The price they offer will be valid, but, they want to charge for the extras. That is where your ability to walk away comes in. Tell them to remove the items you do not want, and make an offer from there. Sometimes they can finally locate the only bike left w/o options, and sometimes, they will work out a deal you really like.

Having said all that, I have not purchased a bike from them, yet. I have talked with one or 2 who have. My next bike will likely come from them. They will definitely have the chance to sell me one, one day.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Southern Powersports

Bought my 2010 and did all the negotiations on the phone. They had a "promotion" with Honda that worked out to $1500 of stuff. I picked everything out and shipped it home. I could tell they really wanted to install the stuff but I flew in about an hour before they closed and had to head back to Texas then. I was having the bike stripped down to transfer all of my farkles transferred from my old bike anyway and I wanted my guy to do it. They will push you to buy an extended warranty from them ....today only deal...I didn't. Other than that they were fine.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I had a good experience with them.

Salesman picked me up at the airport, did the paperwork and was on the road in about 1 hr.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I recently purchased a F6B from them. Very good prices, purchased over the phone, no problems, they do push the extended warranty, my salesman was not the best. I would have preferred to purchase the bike from my local dealer even if it cost me some extra money, but they wanted a little too much extra $$$ this time. Honda of Russellville, Arkansas has similar pricing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My friend traded his Venture for a GL1800 last summer while we were down there on vacation. The salesman was a good guy, but like others have said, the finance department tries to push the warranty.

I wasn't as impressed with their service department. He had a trailer hitch installed later in the week. It took them forever and they miswired the turn signals and didn't tighten the hitch ball.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I bought my first 2010 from them. There pricing was well below everyone else that I called. I had them install a trunk spoiler. They did try to talk me into an extended warranty and some sort of service plan, but I knew I could get the warranty through HDL cheaper, and a service plan from a dealer 1000 miles away didn't make sense to me, so I turned both down and drove my new bike home. No BS involved in the transaction.

No complaints with Southern Honda.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I purchased my 'Wing from them in '12. Did the deal over the phone and drove down to pick it up. Got a great deal on the bike and the people were very nice. The dealership was quite impressive and they even let me take one of their demo VFR1200's for a ride while I was there. But, like others have said they are a little pushy with the warranty. Overall, I had a positive experience.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Bought last three wings from them. Agree with comments above, best price but try add on up sell.
Steve Rose has been my salesman
Will buy from them again

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thinking about making an out of state purchase from Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga, TN. What should I ask for before I seal the deal and drive up there from Louisiana??

My experience was very negative with them. I wouldn't recommend doing business with them. See my thread below.

It seems that it's 50/50 on whether or not people have a good experience with them. Probably depends on how crooked the salesman is...

If you do deal with them get the sales proposal in writing with a VIN # before you make travel/financing plans so there is no confusion about which bike and options you are dealing on.

They are known for loading their bikes up with aftermarket options which you may or may not want.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?418106-Southern-Honda-disappoints

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
My experience was very negative with them. I wouldn't recommend doing business with them. See my thread below.

It seems that it's 50/50 on whether or not people have a good experience with them. Probably depends on how crooked the salesman is...

If you do deal with them get the sales proposal in writing with a VIN # before you make travel/financing plans so there is no confusion about which bike and options you are dealing on.

They are known for loading their bikes up with aftermarket options which you may or may not want.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?418106-Southern-Honda-disappoints

Hope this helps.
That makes sense even if you are buying local.

Out the door price... I like Shroeders myself.
When I bought mine, Schroeders was not even in the ball park.

·
Outta Here by M2
1 Posts
I talked to them a couple of months ago, and while I'm not thinking about a new one right now, they said they are offering a lifetime engine warranty now. They made me a good deal when I bought my ST1300.

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Southern Honda

I purchased my 2012 level 3 from them. I had a very good experience. I did everything over the phone and then my wife and I drove down to sign the paper work and pick it up on a Saturday morning. I was in and out in about an hour and a half. I rode it back in the rain with my wife following in the car. It was only a 4 hour drive from where I am in Kentucky. I will probably deal with them again in the future.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picking it up on Friday and will ride in the area on Friday and then head back to South Louisiana on Saturday......looking forward to getting back on two wheels since my accident in Nov 2013.....just a wee bit nervous.....

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Picking it up on Friday and will ride in the area on Friday and then head back to South Louisiana on Saturday......looking forward to getting back on two wheels since my accident in Nov 2013.....just a wee bit nervous.....
Take your time, you'll be fine.................Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts