GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to GL1800Riders but in a short period I've found the forums very helpful, so I'm posting a call out for help.
Taking a Southern Tour and would like to know of any and all possible good motorcycle roads you can suggest. Here are the destinations:

Atlanta to Troy, Al.
Troy to Pensecola to Mobile
Mobile to New Orleans
New Orleans to Vicksburg
Vicksburg to Tupelo
Tupelo to Birmingham and back to Atlanta.

We like to ride the back roads and will say off the mega slab if possible.

Thanks for your help and looking forward to your suggestions.

Scott ( sorry, no flash; I'll catch up with that later)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Too far north for you?

About 80 miles north of Atlanta is the small town of Suches. State highway 180 runs between State road 60 and US 129 running East from Suches. There is a short portion of this mountain road that is fairly straight but 90% of it is made up of twisties. It's a fun and challenging ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve-O; Thanks for the web site...we have check several but not this one.

WildBillLyle: We won't be going that far north. You are right, the roads around Suches are excellent; I've had many great miles in that area.

thanks

Scott

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
<...>We like to ride the back roads and will say off the mega slab if possible.

Thanks for your help and looking forward to your suggestions.
You'll get some quality suggestions, I'm sure - here's (hopefully) another.

One of the fun things with a GPS (or two) on a bike is that they can give you real-time road suggestions while enroute. If the road really is the destination, well that's one thing, and I get that. If you're headed from point to point, why not do a bit of Googling, followed up with a road or two that looks really, really interesting to ride, and ask here.

On our way back from Kentucky this past June, I had the GPS plot a 'shortest route' from the eastern part of the state, down to Lynchburg, TN (yeah, you know why!). The roads that the GPS took me along I would have never plotted myself, but it took us thru some beautiful (albeit rainy) areas that day. As the weather looked like crap, I actually headed for the major roads (typically built to shed water better than local, rural roads) for as long as I needed to - the GPS recorded the track file, so at least in the future, I'll know where we were.

Yeah, maybe not the exact answer you were looking for, but maybe something to consider.

Welcome to the group, by the way!!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
About 80 miles north of Atlanta is the small town of Suches. State highway 180 runs between State road 60 and US 129 running East from Suches. There is a short portion of this mountain road that is fairly straight but 90% of it is made up of twisties. It's a fun and challenging ride.
You are talking about Wolf Pen Gap, it's a great 12 mile ride. I have ridden it both directions. It is 10 miles south of Blairsville, GA, on route 129. I spent two nights in Blairsville and rode all around the area.

Scott, You have a Private Message (PM).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts