GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be traveling from So. Idaho to Nevada the last week in May where we will meet up with two couples from Ridgecrest, Ca at Tonopah. From Tonopah we plan on driving east to St. George, Utah.

Can any of you guys that are familiar with So. Utah give us some pointers for things to see, great roads to ride, parks to visit, etc. We have a full week to travel the area. Our goal is to wind up making a loop to the East through Moab and winding up back at Nephi, and then West to Ely, Nv before we start heading North towards SW Idaho.

Would also appreciate suggestions for hotels, good food, etc. :excited:

Thanks

50Wing - Idaho

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sothern Utah

My wife and I will be traveling from So. Idaho to Nevada the last week in May where we will meet up with two couples from Ridgecrest, Ca at Tonopah. From Tonopah we plan on driving east to St. George, Utah.

Can any of you guys that are familiar with So. Utah give us some pointers for things to see, great roads to ride, parks to visit, etc. We have a full week to travel the area. Our goal is to wind up making a loop to the East through Moab and winding up back at Nephi, and then West to Ely, Nv before we start heading North towards SW Idaho.

Would also appreciate suggestions for hotels, good food, etc. :excited:

Thanks

50Wing - Idaho
From ST George it's a direct line to Zion,Bryce Canyon, Escalante right up to Moab. Arches Nat. Park is close to Moab

·
Registered
571 Posts
From ST George it's a direct line to Zion,Bryce Canyon, Escalante right up to Moab. Arches Nat. Park is close to Moab
+1
We did that last summer all the way up to Post Falls ID
We camped and ate wherever. Eating just took time
away from riding. Drank lots of Gaterade it was hot.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
From Tonopah you'd definitely want to take US-6, then down NV-375 (Extra-terrestrial Hwy), then over to Caliente, NV and on to Cedar City, UT. Definitely high desert, gets hot in the summer, but a really neat ride. Have a full tank out of Tonopah and then gas up in Caliente.

In southern UT you definitely want to hit:
--UT-14 Cedar City up to Cedar Breaks NM, then the road down to Panguitch.
--Zion National Park. Take the tram into the Canyon (awesome) and also ride UT-9 up and over through the high country to Mt. Carmel Junction. US-89 north from there to UT-12 (just south of Panguitch).

You'll want to figure out how you'd like to include both of the above.

--UT-12 to Bryce Canyon NP, then on north to Escalante - Grand Staircase NM. One of the best rides in the west. At Boulder take the Burr Trail to the east. It becomes dirt in 26 miles and you'll need to backtrack, but well worth it. If you don't go all the way to the dirt, at least ride the first 15 miles or so through Long Canyon and up to a divide where you can turn around. From Boulder continue on UT-12 over Boulder Mountain to Torrey.

--UT-24 east through Capitol Reef NP (beautiful; perhaps take the scenic drive in the park; continue to Hanksville (gas) then UT-95 south/east through Hite, cross the Colorado River at the north end of Lake Powell. Natural Bridges NM is along the route on to Blanding.

--US-191 from Blanding north to Moab. Great sights in Moab include Arches NP, Dead Horse Point State Park, Canyonlands NP (Island in the Sky), Potash Road, and the LaSal Mountain Loop. At least one full day of riding and two would be better. It it hot in the summer.

--Another consideration is Monument Valley in northern Arizona and southern UT (between Kayenta, AZ and Mexican Hat, UT). Just east of Mexican Hat is a great road, UT-261, that climbs the Mokee Dugway (dirt/gravel with some asphalt in the turns) 1100 feet. Awesome views from the bottom and the top. Very doable on a bike -- just take it easy. -261 continues on to UT-95 near Natural Bridges NM.

Most of these are included in my 10-day on the best of the SW, included in my signature. Hope the info helps.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
You can't go wrong if you follow the routes posted by Wingnutzz. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If you make it in to Kanab, which makes a great place to stay and take a day ride down to the north rim and back, U would like to recommend Parry's Lodge. This is a terrific place to stay with a blast to the past with a real old barn in the middle of the grounds. They have nightly country western film each night at 8. There is usually a tie from the film to the lodge. Pretty neat place. Check it out. http://www.parrylodge.com/

This was in the parking lot. I can't find any other pictures of the place.

This is just down the road a bit. :p

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You can't go wrong if you follow the routes posted by Wingnutzz. :thumbup:
Well, that's not exactly true! The Moki Dugway is northwest of Mexican Hat, not northeast. Other than that small hiccup, it was a great synopsis, wingnutzz.

Personally, I can't get enough of the region. I really love Bryce Canyon NP. I could spent several days there.

We stayed in Boulder one night on a Hwy. 12 trip and stayed at the Boulder Mountain Lodge. We had a room facing the cattail pond and it was so serene. While I was unloading the bike, my wife went up to check out the room. She came back outside and said, "How long do we get to stay here." Reservations recommended.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Who are the two Ridgecrest Wingers you are hooking up with???

·
Registered
250 Posts
Zion NP Rocks

Make Zion NP a Must-Do if you can do. If you do, and are up to it, take the "The Narrows" hike - upstream - many portions of it walking in the riverboard itself as you progress into the gorge. Place looks like some alien planet. When God designed Utah, He must've been "tripping". Stunning. Stupendous. Gorgeous. Memorable. One o' them places I'll revisit whenever I can - and make a point to.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So. Utah Trip

Only a few more weeks until we leave on our trip. We are getting a lot of good information. Thanks to all of you that have contributed.

50Wing
;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd like to second the suggestion to visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Even if you don't like that hole in the ground (but you'll be inspired), the ride from Jacob Lake down to the Lodge will be memorable.
Have a great trip!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I'd like to second the suggestion to visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Even if you don't like that hole in the ground (but you'll be inspired), the ride from Jacob Lake down to the Lodge will be memorable.
Have a great trip!
:agree::agree::agree:

You should be good on weather in late May, but you never know at these elevations. We made a trip the 3rd week in May last year. Temps in central Utah were in the low 100s (near Hite on UT-95). Two days later at Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, and the North Rim it was in the 30s and the snow was flying. Made for an intersting trip for sure -- was beautiful, but prefer 4 wheels for snow.

Cedar Breaks NM:

Riding from the North Rim towards Jacob Lake:

Along the South Rim road:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So. Utah Trip

Less than two weeks until we do the trip. The excitement is building. :lol:

50Wing

·
Registered
792 Posts
Stop being so excited and start packing.;) As long as no storms are in the area the north rim is a great ride. Last years snow in May was out of the normal for the time of year.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
If you make it in to Kanab, which makes a great place to stay and take a day ride down to the north rim and back, U would like to recommend Parry's Lodge. This is a terrific place to stay with a blast to the past with a real old barn in the middle of the grounds. They have nightly country western film each night at 8. There is usually a tie from the film to the lodge. Pretty neat place. Check it out. http://www.parrylodge.com/

This was in the parking lot. I can't find any other pictures of the place.

This is just down the road a bit. :p

:fullsize::agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Zion Natational Park

If you make it to Zion, a "must" place to eat is the Spotted Dog Cafe. There is also a motel there and it is less than a mile to the park entrance. A shuttle stop is directly across from the Spotted Dog that takes you to the park. Parking spaces are limited and hard to get during peak times.

Dennis

1 - 20 of 21 Posts