GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have an SP III that came with MapSource City Navigator North America v4 you may be able to get a free copy of the latest software v5.

If you have not registered the v4 software or unlocked it online prior to 09/17/2003 you can get the new updated version.

Step 1: Get the new MapSource City Navigator North America v5 CD free from Garmin.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp

http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/maps ... 1-00762-02

Step 2: Go to the web page listed below. Enter the Registration Code in the right hand box as a returning customer. The Registration Code came with your SP III, as well as an Unlock Code and a Unit Serial Number. The Registration Code is the same as your Customer Code.

http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/maps ... efault.asp

Step 3: If you have not unlocked City Navigator online it will say you have not registered and ask you to register and unlock v4. If you have already unlocked v4 online prior to 09/17/2003 you will have to pay for an update to v5. ($150)

If you unlocked v4 using the unlock code that came with your SP III and did not go online to register and unlock it you can unlock it online and get a free version 5 unlock code regardless of when you originally unlocked it.

Step 4: Unlock version 4 on the Garmin web page.

Step 3: Unlock version 5 on the Garmin web page.

I hope this helps some of you get the latest software.

A friend of mine received a new SP III for Christmas and did not realize they shipped him the older software. The vendor was no help so I contacted Garmin (Some members of the board helped direct me down the right path.) and they walked me through the process.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Or...

Or, for those that have been using V4, can order the new disc, pay the $150, and then get the new unlock code. Will be a while before they update it again, so I went for it.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I got my ver. 5 CD today, and tried to unlock it..... they want $150. I don't remember unlocking my SPIII on line, but must have at some point. :evil: I'll save the CD for when I get a new 2610. That should get me a free unlock code! :twisted:

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I updated Mapsource to V5.4 and the firmware, if I remember correctly, last fall. There was NC.

They did fix a couple bugs. One weird one was Shirley getting dyslexic and telling you to turn right when the map was definitely left! :p

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind that the download upgrade to v5.4 is a Mapsource upgrade. Mapsource is the Garmin operating system (Like windows XP).

City Navigator v5 is the program with all the street data, hotel info, etc. It is a 'program.' (Like Word or Excel)

Updating Mapsource to v5.4 does not get you the new street info. I didn't understand the distinction until a Garmin Tech explained it to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts