GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone wear "spandex" as underwear when riding. Must be good stuff... most cycle riders wear them.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Bicycle riders wear spandex to imitate the pros/racers, who wear it to cut down on drag, and for comfort. The stretchy fabric helps maintain good fit 9doesn't bunch up) throughout the pedaling cycle. I think something softer and more absorbant than spandex works best for motorcycling - somkething like LD Comfort underwear. See numerous other poosts on this subject.

BTW, the pros also shave their legs - not for speed, but to reduce the mess when they crash and get road rash. Perhaps the shorts and T-shirt bunch of motorcyclists ought to do that!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Most of the spandex bike shorts have a cushy pad on the bottom where the riders butt sits on the skinny seat. This pad helps the rider ride longer with more comfort. It may also help motorcycle riders in the same way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, I use my bike sorts on the Wing. On any ride over an an hour they make a big difference in contort especially when wearing jeans.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
JMATANDEM;3403550... I think something softer and more absorbant than spandex works best for motorcycling ... [/QUOTE said:
Yep, there's better gear for riding motorcycles than Spandex.

If you want to be comfortable on your bike pay attention to the guys that do LD rides, most will not put up with discomfort because something that is a slight nagging bother at 300 or 400 miles will drive you barking mad after 800 miles.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I love this stuff... very similar to bicycle spandex, but without the padding: MSL 3 Season Base Layers

http://store.mm411.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1335&ParentCat=297

I carry only two pairs of this Base Layer, and alternate washing of one suit while I wear the other... can do this for weeks at a time. The suit that's wet from washing, I strap onto my cargo rack to air-dry while I'm riding... It's usually dry and ready to wear by my 1st gas top.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Compression shorts

Any good pair of 'compression shorts' will make a big difference.........especially for 'the boys'.......trust me! :p

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I do a fair amount of bicycle and motorcycle riding. I wear bicycle shorts with the pad on my bicycle. I do not like the pad when on my motorcycle.

I wear LD's on my motorcycle.

Hector

1 - 10 of 10 Posts