GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago I read several posts about carrying spare gas in a backpacking gas bottle (designed to carry white gas for cooking). I've searched for these posts but can't find them.

This May I'm riding from Florida to Hyder, Alaska for Hyder Seek. I understand there are some areas of Canada where gas is not readily available. I thought carrying several of these bottles would provide some insurance.

Does anyone have any experience with either these bottles or other methods of carrying spare gas.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I read the same post and purchased two bottles to carry with me. They are made by MSR. You can find them at outdoor type stores, like you said, made for backpacking. I have the Quart size.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
CAMPMOR.com in New Jersey has them. I ordered a few a couple years ago. They're plain spun aluminum and might be cheaper than the anodized versions that MSR carries. I wrap mine in old crew socks to keep them quiet and somewhat insulated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
:lol: Mike ,, Yes as stated you can go to any large sporting goods store or mail order them off line. I belive the largest size is the 1 qt size and I always carry two... Havn't had the need to use them yet, but on a side line thought it might be a good idea to recycle the fuel from the storage bottles to refresh them once in a while. HUUM I think I need to do that toooo. I am not sure how long the fuel will keep the octaine rating being stored . Maybe someone on this board knows more about the time that it can be stored befor you have to use it without the loss of the octane rating.???

G

·
Aww come on guys... you better bring some food for the dog sled teams while your at it and don't forget the whale blubber for extra food in case the igloo door freezes and you get trapped inside . :lol:

Seriously, gas is really not an issue on this trip unless you don't watch your gauge, then maybe a barrel or two is in order .

Mike what route are you talking through Canada ? Maybe we could meet somewhere, or you could even do a stop over here for a free nights rest, I am thinking of going again. :biker:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The roads on the way to Hyder are well-traveled and gas is just as available as most rural areas of the west. Just use common sense, pay attention to your maps and refuel by the time the fuel gauge hits 1/4 and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I don't expect to have any problems, but was told to be careful on the road between Jasper and Prince George. This generated my interest in carrying a little gas. Now I guess I'll have to find room for the whale blubber also. :?

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts