GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to The Home Depot to get a pair of spare keys made for my wing. I am going to make the key for the gasoline slot. This Home Depot did not have ANY Axxess 27 blanks (plenty of 27R). So I went on to another Home Depot

This Home Depot had plenty of Axxess 27 blanks so I ask the person to make my 2 key which he did. Then he scanned the bar code of the 27
blank when he got a really strange look on his face. He would not give me the keys he just made.

He walked over to the cash register lady and asked her to scan the 27 blank bar code. The lady scanned it and began to laugh, the cost was up in the $1000s!!!!!!!! for one key.

Then she said to me that she could not sell me the keys. I asked why and she replied that these blanks are discontinued but she gave me the two keys allready cut.

I then got on my phone and called my buddy who wants the gasoline key thing too and she heard me telling him to get over to this home depot ASAP and she said that he cannot get those keys made. Remember that this home depot had boxes of Axxess 27 blanks on the key machine.

Then the manager happens to walk by and hears this going on and orderes the key man to pull all of the 27 blanks!!!!!!!!!!

What is gong on???
Big government involved on which spare key I can have??????

·
Registered
313 Posts
I went to Home Depot here in VA two weeks ago to make two keys for the gasoline and side pocket, they are 27R models and they start the bike, paid $1.97 each.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I went to Home Depot here in VA two weeks ago to make two keys for the gasoline and side pocket, they are 27R models and they start the bike, paid $1.97 each.
Check if they will lock the steering. Others have reported that they will not.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
The 27R will do EVERYTHING except lock the forks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was in Knoxville for Wing Ding and Home Depot didn't have the blanks either. My local Walmart didn't either. Walmart lady said they do not have the motorcycle software in their key computer although they have cut keys for my old bike.
While in Knoxville for the hell of it I stopped at a Ace Hardware. He used a Hillman B101 blank, cut me 3 keys and they all worked EVERYTHING. End of search. :yes1:
Mike

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I suspect that there are some errors in locksmith spec books.
A few weeks ago, I had misplaced my key and called a local locksmith to get a new key cut from the code. The locksmith informed me that he could not cut this key because it had a chip in it. I assured him that it did not, but he insisted that his book showed that it did. I ended up going to the local Honda shop to get the blanks. They had no means to cut the keys, so I took the blanks to the same locksmith that I had spoken to earlier. When I got there, they had already cut the key with their blank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After reading the original post I went to Home Depot here and they had
the 27 key. Cost me 33 cents. Now I will make the fuel door knob. Thanks for the heads up on maybe being discontinued.
Mike

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I suspect that there are some errors in locksmith spec books.
A few weeks ago, I had misplaced my key and called a local locksmith to get a new key cut from the code. The locksmith informed me that he could not cut this key because it had a chip in it. I assured him that it did not, but he insisted that his book showed that it did. I ended up going to the local Honda shop to get the blanks. They had no means to cut the keys, so I took the blanks to the same locksmith that I had spoken to earlier. When I got there, they had already cut the key with their blank.
How could they have already cut the key if you had not gotten there yet to give them your key to cut to?

·
Registered
719 Posts
How could they have already cut the key if you had not gotten there yet to give them your key to cut to?
Re-read his post... HE gave the locksmith the KEY CODE.... Locksmith can cut the key based upon the code and he doesn't even need an original to start with.:lol:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Re-read his post... HE gave the locksmith the KEY CODE.... Locksmith can cut the key based upon the code and he doesn't even need an original to start with.:lol:
Thanks. I SUSPECTED that after I SENT the post. I REALLY appreciate the ENTHUSIASM in your REPLY. I never WOULD have FIGURED it out without YOUR emphasis. Thanks, AGAIN!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have no connection other than I needed a key,Just a FYI but our good locksmith in Round Rock TX
Ace Locksmith Service has goldwing keys
512-255-7530
with the honda black plastic on the end almost like factory blanks .
Great service

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks. I SUSPECTED that after I SENT the post. I REALLY appreciate the ENTHUSIASM in your REPLY. I never WOULD have FIGURED it out without YOUR emphasis. Thanks, AGAIN!
You're a really SENSITIVE guy, aren't you?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Whenever I want a key made for any of my bikes, I take the original to a locksmith not some big box store. Never had any type of problem and they have me try the new keys in all of the locks to insure they work.

Customer Service by the little guy.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
They used their key blank. I guess they found the correct data sheet.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Didn't have these problems in 1972. My wife's Yamaha 200 key would crank my cousins Yamaha 350.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts