GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a list of routine spare parts that are a good idea to carry -- besides fuses? For example, I lost my center stand spring in Colorado last week. Don't know if this was a fluke or if it happens to others. But would have been nice to have been carrying a spare spring. Any other routine spare parts that we should be carrying?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
i'd carry the fuses only because you might blow one in the middle of the night... (and a flashlight to install it with).. but i can't think of any other parts you'd need to carry around.. that spring IS a fluke.. I never heard of parts falling off the bike spontaneously. ;) maybe valve stem caps for the tires, but you can buy those at most any gas station..

my problem is losing my damned keys... now THAT is a problem ;)

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
NO

I have rode wings sence 75 and the only thing that has put me on the side of the road has been flat tires.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You could arrange to have a truck follow along with all the parts for the bike in it like those guys in the biker build off do. :D Those choppers look nice but I would never buy one for riding purposes. It seems they can't even make a 1000 mile trip without some kind of major failure.

Back to the original topic: The only thing I ever needed on the road (62000 miles) was a quart of oil and rear tire.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Carry a spare tire(s) and battery. :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
A Bungee cord would have been a temporary fix for your center stand.

I carry extra wheel valve stems, tire plug kit, and a $10.00 12V air compressor (available from Walmart) that fits in the space where a CD unit would be.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Never really carry any "spare parts" but I do carry 5 feet of bailing wire, duct tape (your choice of color), fuses, tie wraps and a spare headlight bulb.
Also misc tools, small socket set and a couple of good screwdrivers and allen t-handles

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Fuses ( have ya seen the ones that light up when blown, cool),
bungee cords, that's for the wife shopping :lol:

Flashlight, first aid kit, plug kit with ac, reflective vest ( of something like it) should be standard in anyone bike....

Rubber plug/grommets for the damm side covers....

Good towing service/HRC-AMA- or the like.....

Cell phone and credit card....

When I take my trailer I carry a small bag of tools, basic stuff...used it more for helping out other drivers in cars more than ever used it on a bike, but never know...handy to have in case you buy something and can't wait to get home to install it :yes:

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
KYBLUE said:
Fuses ( have ya seen the ones that light up when blown, cool),
bungee cords, that's for the wife shopping :lol:

Flashlight, first aid kit, plug kit with ac, reflective vest ( of something like it) should be standard in anyone bike....

Rubber plug/grommets for the damm side covers....

Good towing service/HRC-AMA- or the like.....

Cell phone and credit card....

When I take my trailer I carry a small bag of tools, basic stuff...used it more for helping out other drivers in cars more than ever used it on a bike, but never know...handy to have in case you buy something and can't wait to get home to install it :yes:
I add to that...Duct tape, Jumper cables (to help others), #14 wire (Red and Black), butt cables connectors, and a couple of rags...

·
Registered
293 Posts
GL03 said:
Spare nuts for trunk, spare screws and nuts for extended front fender, and spare side cover "O" rings.
After losing 2 side cover grommets, I tied em all with a small tie wrap and that put an end to that crap.... A small-size tie wrap will not interfere with the function and keeps the grommets from "disappearing" all the time.... :chat:

G

·
0 Posts
I'm fairly new to riding, but from what I've read on these pages, you only need to carry spare parts if you ride one of those "other bikes. :wink:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Just for peace of mind:
Tubeless repair kit
Small 12 volt air compressor
Tire pressure gauge
Small crescent wrench
Multi tip screwdriver
Duct tape
WD-40
Assorted tie wraps
Combination needle nose, wire cutters
Pledge (lemon)
Car wash towels
2 qts of fuel
Infrared temperature gauge (from Radio Shack)
Jumper cables

Most of these little things (in addition to the factory tool kit) fit inside one of those canvas tool bags. So far I have used some of these items to help someone else, with the exception of the tire pressure gauge, Pledge and towels.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
In addition to some of the things mentioned above, I carry a gas siphon hose. The one I have has a one way valve on one end which allows it to siphon fuel by just wiggling the end of the hose up and down in the source tank. I've used it three times in the past several years.

Len

·
Registered
273 Posts
Indianabob said:
For example, I lost my center stand spring in Colorado last week. Don't know if this was a fluke or if it happens to others.

I just so happens that when checking over the bike last week, I had it on the center stand, and noticed that the end of the center stand spring loop was hooked on the stud. That is, instead of the loop going around the stud, the end of the loop was hooked on the stud. Does that make sense? Anyways, the spring was about to fall off.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ron --

I lost the spring on a gravel road in a Colorado construction zone. Maybe a rock kicked up and knocked the spring off? Don't know. Anyway, I'm still waiting for the local dealer to get the spring in and then install it (warranty item). I'll take a look and see how it's attached. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts