GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shopping for a spare tire for my trailer.. i read on the sidewall on one tire - a 4.80x12 - not to exceed 55 MPH ... are all 4.80x12 tires only rated for 55MPH ?

cosmic

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Cosmic,

My trailer is out back in the shed and covered, and it's raining out, so accessing right now would be a hassle. I have the same trailer as you do, (same color, too) and I've ridden a lot faster than 55 mph with no ill effects. I did have a wear problem with the tires in the first year of ownership. They were bald in no time at all. I contribute that to the types of roads that we rode on (very twisty). However, since I replaced the tires with new ones to the tune of $23.00 each (very inexpensive), I haven't experienced the same thing. Perhaps the tire's compound is different with the new ones, I don't know, but I've been on similar roads with no wear concerns.

As far as the 55mph, me thinks that it is one of those lawyers thing and I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure that you grease the bearings yealy before a long trip, and you'll be fine.

Yes, you'll need to purchase a dust seal every time if you'd want to grease the inner bearings. Just a few cents.

Happy trailering.
Mike T.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike.. i was shopping for a spare tire... at West Marine .. i read on the sidewall of a spare tire a 4.80x12 .. not to exceed 55 mph... ?
but the tires on my trailer does not have it printed on the sidewall.. maybe its was a Metzler tire I looked at ????? :roll:

cosmic

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Cosmic,

I'm surprised that you didn't go with the chrome spare available from Escapade. While you're shopping around for a spare tire, are you able to find a chrome one? It would look kind of funky if you have a flat with your trailer tires and mount a painted one on one side while you have a chrome one on the other side.

Have you checked with Northern catalog? They have chrome ones in it that could fit your application, they were in it the last time I looked at one. I don't have a recent catalog on hand, and it seems that they've stopped sending me one since I haven't ordered from them in a long while, but this is the Internet, everything is reacheable on the Internet. Give them a shout. Hope this helps. Let me know how you make out with your spare tires escapades. :lol:

Mike T.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts