GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone had to use a spare because of either a flat or ruined tire on a motorcycle trailer ..
Just trying to decide if I should buy a spare or just carry a "fix a flat in a can" .. or get a spare and haul around the extra weight..
what do folks that tow a trailer behind their bike think ...

tia

cosmic

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I put new tires/wheels on my trailer when I fixed it up, and carry one of the old ones inside as a spare.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I have a spare plus a compressor & a plug kit :wink:
picked it up on ebay for $14.95, :wink: the compressor pumped up the trailer tire (I did a test) :wink: to 40 psi.
I only run 30# in my Piggy.
this kit will get you out of trouble when needed, I plug into the battery tender plug witch is hooked up to the battery direct. :wink:
Better than playing w/your pud on the side of the road :) :)

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
no spare on my trailer
or my bike

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I have 755,760 miles pulling trailers with motorcycles starting in 1957. I have never carried a spare. However, I bought an E3 .70 tire at Wing Ding and carried it back to Texas in the trailer, but it was for future use.

Three days ago, I bought another set of E3 70s and carried them home in the Tailwind also. Just don't know when that tire shortage problem is going to be solved.

I only have 4,000 miles on the brand new E3 70s now, and the last set went 23,000 with some left, but you never know.

I have a plug kit and the XTc model of our trailer has an onboard compressor. It is always the back tire of the bike that gets the puncture.

All of that being said, if you must carry a spare, I would get a 4.00-8 spare since it is lighter and takes up less room. Most trailers can be pulled with one 8 inch and one 12 inch rim if you hold the speed down, until you can get a replacement tire if it is needed.

4.70 -12 wheels and tires are very common in boat shops, Wal Marts, Tire shops, etc. If your trailer has that size with a 4 X 4 lug pattern, you should not have to go far to get a replacement.

If you have a trailer that has proprietary wheels, that is a different story. In that case, it also has very hard to get bearings, and so in that case a spare wheel with bearings and tire makes sense. There are many stories about hunting those. The bearings are small and easy to carry, so I would always have a spare set if I had a trailer that does not use the 1 Inch tapered Timken bearings.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've got a spare for the trailer, but have never used it. Will probably continue to carry it though. Two plug kits plus a compressor for the bike, and a separate pump in the trailer. Since I started semi-serious riding about 15 years ago (when I got my first wing), I've only had to do one rear tire plug on the bike, and never had a front tire or trailer tire problem.

Carl

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
We ran over a rock that cut the sidewall on the trailer tire.

We did not have a spare, thankfully our friends pulling an Escapade had a spare that fit.

We also have the 12 volt compressor and the tire plug kit - neither of which have we had occasion to use.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I keep a spare in my trailer at all times.

Too lighten things up I just let the 30 pounds of air out. :wink:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Bulldog said:
Ask Ron Bien about a spare, or the lack of one!

Bulldog
I have to agree with Dawg as I was following Ron when his tire went about ten miles from Dawg's place as we were heading to Cats-cade. The Dawg and friends drove down and bailed Ron out as we loaded the whole trailer in the back of the truck. The tire was shredded, so no fix-um stuff would have helped. I think that a spare is a good thing.

Also, remember to check out the tires regularly on the trailer -- sometimes they don't get enough miles on them before dry-rot hits.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You lose a tire you will have to leave the trailer and run for a spare. Hopefully while you are gone someone with a pickup doesn't want the trailer more than you do.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Dont have a spare but plan on gettting one before June going to Alaska and bushtec is super if a tire is need to overnight it to you.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Always take the spare and compressor with the trailer. got just what I needed at walmart for my Hannigan.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Spare tire for trailer???

I carry a spare and had to use it this summer.

I was stopped for gas and just doing my normal walk around the trailer to check the tires and bearings when I discovered the flat. Not sure how long it was flat but I never noticed it riding.

15 minutes later we were back on the road with the spare mounted. My spare is mounted under the trailer so it's no trouble to carry it. Sure we could have found a replacement or had the flat repaired fairly quickly but we were on our way to meet friends and having the spare meant we were hardly delayed at all.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I carry a spare in the trailer for the trailer and a plug kit and small compressor on the Wing. I've had to use the plug kit when I hit a bungee cord S hook on my first Wing. It got us back to civilization where I replaced the tire.

On my tire replacement on the Escapade, the tire dealer did not replace the the valve stems and both leaked and caused me to replace them.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question concerning a spare tire 4.80 x 12

I was shopping for a spare tire for my trailer... on the side wall of the tire
it stated not for speeds over 55MPH ... is all 4.80 x 12 tires rated for just 55 MPH ??

cosmic

·
Registered
181 Posts
Trailer spare

Some states, Wisc for one, require a spare with any, read that, ANY
Trailer, even ones pulled by a bike!!\
Small price to pay!! Always carry one!
Just my 2 cents////

Don Fulton
Pa Chapter "O" CD
01 Wing (100,000 miles)
04 Bunkhouse
95 Cycle mate

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I carry a first-aid kit on the bike, and never hope to use it. I figure a spare for the trailer would fall into the same category.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I always have a spare. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I used a "U" bolt and mounted it under the frame. It's out of sight and does not take up room in the trailer.

my $.02 ....

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've never needed to use the spare on our Starlite, but carry one anyway. Have been pulling a trailer for about 11 years now with no tire problems.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts