GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this spare tire holder when I got the trailer and am not sure best place for it? Need some advice from you long time trailer owners. Should it go here with the tire mounted or do I move the cooler rack and put tire close to trailer? Last option is just to put tire inside trailer. Would it help add the 10% tongue weight that I have read is needed by being closer to the hitch?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Hang a U bolt upside down between the cooler rack and the trailer body and use the bolts to hold the tire on under the tongue or frame, whatever ya call that part. My Leesure Lite camper had it that way till I moved the inside my storage bin.

Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Hang a U bolt upside down between the cooler rack and the trailer body and use the bolts to hold the tire on under the tongue or frame, whatever ya call that part. My Leesure Lite camper had it that way till I moved the inside my storage bin.
That's what I did on my Tag-A-Long.:thumbup:

Reactions: griffalo

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I also have an Aluma trailer, and came up with a unique storage system for my spare tire.

I first put rigid foam in the side walls, covering it with marine grade tight loop carpet. For the bottom, I laid some heavy duty rubber cupboard material.

Using 1" x 6" boards, I ripped them to the height of the spare tire lying down. 3 separate compartments were created, 1 for the tire and two for tools and any other accessory I thought necessary for road trips. Basically an upside down "T" which places the tire at the front of the trailer floor. The form lays loose in the trailer, as it mates with each of the four walls to discourage movement.

A quarter inch piece of plywood went over the top of this form, with rigid foam and marine grade carpeting as the final layer. On the aft portion of the plywood, I made two holes which allows my fingers to pull the floor board up with ease. A similar access port was made in the rigid foam/carpet.

I lost perhaps 5" of floor space height, but the plus side is that I now have a flat surface to put travel items and not worry about the tire rubbing against them.

This was a fun little project taking most of one morning to complete.

On an aside, I found a jig saw knife blade cut through the rigid foam board with ease and little to no mess.

- David

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also have the Aluma trailer but I seem to always have the cooler on the front which can easily put more weight than should be on the hitch at the bike. So I mounted my spare tire under the trailer in the back using metal strapping in a crisscross to hold the tire up tight to the frame. I used existing holes/bolts so no drilling required. It is a good way to counter balance some of the weight of the heavy cooler up front and takes no interior space. I have had in this spot for almost 10 years now without an issue. It would not be the easiest to get out if you needed it but doable without much a problem. Thankfully in this 10 years I've never had to use it. Probably time for new tires all around just because of age. As the previous post mentioned, I also used ridged foam insulation on the interior with outdoor carpet. It makes for a nice interior and keeps it cool in the hot sun.

Wade

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ditto to Radwinger...my electric cooler is easily overloaded with real food and groceries on Mini-Mate tongue. Tire under rear with 2 longish 1/4" bolts thru floor nutted and washered from bottom then wing nuts lock and big washers hold tire through lug holes securely to camper bottom for easy removal.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Use the u-bolt and hang it under the front of the cargo box and behind the cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have an Aluma trailer and have been thinking there has to be a better way. I see it has been awhile since you guys posted this information, but I just wanted to thank Radwinger and David for taking the time to describe how you modified your trailers. I now have another winter project. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts