GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say Hi everyone. I'm new here, and new to the GL1800. I've been riding all my life and wanted to see what the Goldwing is all about. So I bought a used '01' Wing a couple of weeks ago!

The SO and I are going to take trip on it next week. We will be going north from Kern County CA. up into Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and then drop down into Yellowstone. I was a little worried about the rear tire (it looks to be about half used) so I started looking for another tire on ebay. I found a very low mile tire (looks new) on a wheel for less than the price of just the tire!

I was playing around in the shop today and built this...
It's just a piece of square tubing with a flange for the wheel, and mounted in the hitch.

I know this is kind of a wild idea, and want to hear what you guys think...would you take a tire with you on a trip like the one we are going to take? The tire and wheel weighs 35 lbs. I took a ride with it, and I couldn't even tell it was there. We would probably even strap some light stuff on top of it. So what do you think, too much???

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
Leave it at home check out darksiders if worried about getting flat then make up your own mind most just carry a small air comp. ( fits in trunk where cb/cd goes) n get plug kit start off good tires n should nt have to worry

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Put the newer tire on before you leave.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Welcome to the GW world! I believe your SO will really like it back there on the "throne". I would have to agree about changing out tires before you leave. That is a cool looking setup, and I commend you for the innovation, but the GL1800 is already very heavy. The extra weight added so far back plus two-up may cause handling issues or headshake, and will certainly wear the already-risky rear tire much faster.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Is the exhaust blowing on the tire or below it. It gets very hot.

Has the bike's frame been checked or recalled for cracked welds?

A Kumho run flat car tire will support 1202 lbs and take a car 50 miles at 50 mph at zero psi.....even more with the Wing.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
:congrats: on the Wing.

Thats a pretty nifty setup you have there. Given my experience with rear tires failing on the Wing, I would be very apprehensive of placing that much weight aft of the rear axle. Unless you and your wife are quite small, you will likely be over the rear tire's weight limit once you pack the luggage. If you were running an alternative tire on the rear, I wouldn't worry about the additional leveraged weight on the rear...then again, you wouldn't need to bring a spare tire with you either. :lol:

Best to start your trip with fresh tires (front and rear) and not worry about bringing a spare wheel. Better yet, follow Rocky's post for a safer rear tire option especially if riding 2-up and/or heavily loaded.

Good luck and safe travels! That's some beautiful country up there. :thumbup:

First let me say Hi everyone. I'm new here, and new to the GL1800. I've been riding all my life and wanted to see what the Goldwing is all about. So I bought a used '01' Wing a couple of weeks ago!

The SO and I are going to take trip on it next week. We will be going north from Kern County CA. up into Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and then drop down into Yellowstone. I was a little worried about the rear tire (it looks to be about half used) so I started looking for another tire on ebay. I found a very low mile tire (looks new) on a wheel for less than the price of just the tire!

I was playing around in the shop today and built this...
It's just a piece of square tubing with a flange for the wheel, and mounted in the hitch.

I know this is kind of a wild idea, and want to hear what you guys think...would you take a tire with you on a trip like the one we are going to take? The tire and wheel weighs 35 lbs. I took a ride with it, and I couldn't even tell it was there. We would probably even strap some light stuff on top of it. So what do you think, too much???

·
Registered
512 Posts
CanyonRunner,

Cool idea with the spare tire deal.
My suggestion ,is to downsize. As someone else stated go to WalMart and get you a small slime compressor,and a plug kit.Total $35. This will only take up side bag space about the size of both of your hands palms,and MUCH less weight!
Lot less bulk to haul as well as not the worry of someone driving over the top of it, in a parking lot or somewere ..:(
You could sure use your idea to haul the wheel/tire to a buddies house that needs an emergency replacement for on the road or similar.

take care,
bc

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Unless you're traveling down the "Road of Bones" or some other obscure trail where there are no facilities for hundreds or thousands of miles, put on a fresh tire and leave the spare home.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Select the tire of your choice be it MT or CT and go with it. A spare is not needed.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have a spare mounted on the rim only because I got it really cheap. Because the back tire wears out before the front I swap tires back and forth moving the new tire to the bike and then getting a new tire installed on what has now become the spare rim. Keep a cell phone with you and have a good towing service. You don't need to haul that tire around with you. but I commend you on your idea. BB

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Good rubber a slime mini compressor, and a plug kit is all you need!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Ignore the propaganda crowd with their mechanical deviances. :)

If your back tire is half worn, then you have about 8000 miles to go. If your trip is significantly shorter than that - just go. No need for the spare or to swap. Half-life on the front is ~6500.

Because the back tire wears out before the front
Eh? My fronts wear out faster than the rears (first bike I have owned that does that btw). Then again - with so much time spent on the binders around Chicagoland - I am not surprised. I get about 13k out of the front and 16k out of the rear.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
...If your back tire is half worn, then you have about 8000 miles to go. If your trip is significantly shorter than that - just go. No need for the spare or to swap. Half-life on the front is ~6500..
> You are presuming that the current used tires are in good condition (eg < 5yrs old)... If however they are older, then they will wear very rapidly.

> I had this happen to my partner's bike on a long ride... he showed up with 1/2 worn old tires... They became Bald by the 2nd day of riding! (eg We were going from CA to MN, but only got as far as UT).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Stop by a dealer and have them measure the tread depth. They will tell you how much life your tire has.

I run Dunlop E3's. My rear tire gets 12,000 miles, the front gets 17,000.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies! I have learned a lot about the GW just from reading this forum! There is info here that you can't find elsewhere, and most of it comes from real riding experience!

Leave it at home check out darksiders if worried about getting flat then make up your own mind most just carry a small air comp. ( fits in trunk where cb/cd goes) n get plug kit start off good tires n should nt have to worry
This is actually why I bought the extra wheel. I want to try a CT, and maybe be able to switch back easily.

I already have a small 12v compressor and plug kit. I will put the new tire on and leave the spare at home. I have seen rear racks to carry ice chests and things, and i just thought Hmmm...

Welcome to the GW world! I believe your SO will really like it back there on the "throne". I would have to agree about changing out tires before you leave. That is a cool looking setup, and I commend you for the innovation, but the GL1800 is already very heavy. The extra weight added so far back plus two-up may cause handling issues or headshake, and will certainly wear the already-risky rear tire much faster.
Thanks for the welcome. We don't have everything packed yet, but I believe we will be heavy enough with the bags and trunk loaded.

Read about the safest tire you can put on your bike. A Run Flat. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31
Already have. I've been riding a VTX1800c. People have been running CT's on those for a long time too.

Is the exhaust blowing on the tire or below it. It gets very hot.

Has the bike's frame been checked or recalled for cracked welds?

A Kumho run flat car tire will support 1202 lbs and take a car 50 miles at 50 mph at zero psi.....even more with the Wing.
Good catch on the exhaust. I rode for about an hour, it did get warm to the touch, but not as warm as the driving tire.

The previous owner couldn't tell me for sure if the bike had gone in for the frame recall. I inspected what I could (pulled side covers) before buying, and since have moved the seat, and bags out (did the preload fix) and checked the frame with a small mirror. The frame looks clean. I can not see any cracks, or places where the frame has been weld-reinforced. Were all the bikes recalled or just certain VIN's?

Again, I plan to try the CT!

:congrats: on the Wing.

Thats a pretty nifty setup you have there. Given my experience with rear tires failing on the Wing, I would be very apprehensive of placing that much weight aft of the rear axle. Unless you and your wife are quite small, you will likely be over the rear tire's weight limit once you pack the luggage. If you were running an alternative tire on the rear, I wouldn't worry about the additional leveraged weight on the rear...then again, you wouldn't need to bring a spare tire with you either. :lol:

Best to start your trip with fresh tires (front and rear) and not worry about bringing a spare wheel. Better yet, follow Rocky's post for a safer rear tire option especially if riding 2-up and/or heavily loaded.

Good luck and safe travels! That's some beautiful country up there. :thumbup:

Thanks for the good wishes.

The PO said the tires were replaced at the same time. Since the rear is not worn out yet, I think the front will be OK, it looks pretty good.

Any route suggestions? I am thinking 89 out of Tahoe, to 36, 44, stop in Shasta, I5 to 97, to Klamath Falls, then 26 east to...

And yes we will have two cell phones, gps, credit cards, and AAA.

> You are presuming that the current used tires are in good condition (eg < 5yrs old)... If however they are older, then they will wear very rapidly.

> I had this happen to my partner's bike on a long ride... he showed up with 1/2 worn old tires... They became Bald by the 2nd day of riding! (eg We were going from CA to MN, but only got as far as UT).

I don't really know how old the tires are. I guess if the front starts going quickly we will find a MC shop and have it changed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
No way would I travel with that much weight mounted so far behind the rear axle. I have a spare also, but would never travel with it, unless I pulled a trailer, which I do not. Put the better of the two tires on the bike and hit the road. Lay the bike on its side and the tire change will be easy and take less than a half hour.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stop by a dealer and have them measure the tread depth. They will tell you how much life your tire has.

I run Dunlop E3's. My rear tire gets 12,000 miles, the front gets 17,000.
Every bike I ever had wore the rear first...something to do with my wrist I think;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts