GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 gl 1800 that likes to ping apon moderate to heavy acceleration on a normal basis.Now i run premium and have been for about ayear and still get it 35% of the time any how. Any ideas out there.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Carbon Buildup? Run 3-4 tanks of SeaFoam or Tecron at proper mixture to see if it helps.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used this also throughout the year on a couple 4000 mile trips and have ran the bike like i stole it for the last 40000 miles no change.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
All things being equal, then I would have to say you have a larger problem than the pre-ignition clatter you believe. What speed and gear? Perhaps lugging? I know, silly question, but had to ask.
Sorry nothing here. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I'd run one tank with Seafoam added, then one tank with Techron, and immediately SWITCH TO REGULAR grade, as the manual recommends!

If the carbon gets cleaned out and the 87 octane doesn't effect a change for the better, then you either have a more advanced issue, or are lugging the engine too much. :shrug:

Carbon Buildup? Run 3-4 tanks of SeaFoam or Tecron at proper mixture to see if it helps.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Mine just started pinging this weekend. Mine occurs under heavy acceleration and is worse above 3000 RPM. I plan to change the air filter, check the plugs to see how they are burning and use Sea Foam. We'll see what happens. I sure would hate to pull the heads.

Edit: FWIW, bike is an '04 with 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NO lugging here, and if i do lugg around somrtime i dont open the throttle very much and expect performance, this usually occures at or above 3000 RPM at half or more throttle.
But thanks for the input, and i will keep listenning for more input.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Sounds like a different problem than ignition clatter. It should take place at the lower RPM range instead of the middle-upper end of the main tourque curve.

If the premeum didn't cure it, and as you say, no carbon build up something is missing in the problem.

Switching back to regular will probably save some future coboning. Oh yea, stop lugging it around, that isn't good for it. Wings sound like they are effortless in a lot of cases, but there are results evenually to doing it. I am as guilty as anyone for doing this too. You probably have more miles on it than a typical Winger, so that could be a consideration.

I hope you can get it resolved.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just had a 2001 1800 in the shop here with the same problem as you did. I replaced the Knock Sensor ( 30530-MCA-003 ) and solved the problem. I now have a pleased repeat customer. Tony:thumbup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
2002 engine knock

Hi Tony,

I have 113,000 on my 02 and have the knock problem. Where is the sensor located and how hard a job is it to replace?

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I had the exact same symptom. the knock would occur at any rpm at a medium to heavy load. Premium fuel used to get rid of my knock. But if you have carbon buildup, it may just be worse than mine.

I was not a fan of additives of any kind. But I took a chance and poured half a bottle of Techron in each of the next two tanks. I still ran premium in the first tank. But when I switched to regular on the second tank, the knock was gone and has not returned. That was three years ago. I am now a Techron believer.

Of course there is always the possibility of a bad knock sensor or something more serious. But there is nothing to lose and everything to gain from trying the simple solution first. Techron has a pretty good chance of solving your problem. Many guys here like Sea Foam as well. I have never tried it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts