GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little info on the benefits if any, of using iridium vs. conventional plugs for my upcoming change. Another option are the platinum plugs. Any and all comments and opinions are needed for making the proper choice. My GW is a 2006 HPNA with 22,500 miles. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I changed my plugs right before our trip, and went with OEM. The change was instantaneously noticeable, fast starts, and smooth, whether at idle or at speed. If OEM does this, how do I justify paying double or more? I believe plugs are supposed to be changed every 12,000 miles, and if you're going to follow the schedule, you're not gaining any time on the plugs, so why spend the extra? I'd go OEM and put the extra money in the tank.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Looking for a little info on the benefits if any, of using iridium vs. conventional plugs for my upcoming change. Another option are the platinum plugs. Any and all comments and opinions are needed for making the proper choice. My GW is a 2006 HPNA with 22,500 miles. Thanks
With only that many miles you don't need plugs. Don't work on the bike if you don't need to. If you need to, then take them out, clean them and adjust the gap if they need it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have almost 30k miles on my NGK iridium's with absolutely zero issues. Runs just like regular plugs only lasts longer. I happened to have these plugs on hand for my daughters toyota v6 solara which are the same plugs for the wing. Go either way, not a big deal to change plugs.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Used a set of iridium years ago because they were on sale and were supposed to last much longer, in the end I decided it was wasted money and I don’t plan on ever using iridium again.

Years ago I went to a J&P cycles open house, there was a vendor there selling expensive spark plugs that came with a 30 day money back warranty if not satisfied, they were supposed to increase mpg and horsepower and they did neither, in fact they didn’t even work as well as stock plugs, so I took them out and called the company asking for my money back, the vendor said I had to return them to J&P which happens to be a 300 mile ride one way.
So I took a ride to J&P, at first they didn’t want to give my money back but after a short argument they did.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
If you hang out here a lot, you will see many problems with 5th gens are self-inflicted. Usually from a member trying to short cut maintenance. Either by not doing it as required, or doing it, but with aftermarket products. Do yourself a huge favor and follow the Maintenance schedule to a tee, and pay extra attention to those asterisks and notes at the bottom of the schedule. The other to know is that rarely are their better products to maintain and repair your Wing with other than OEM Honda ones. In short, there are no better plugs than the ones called for by Honda.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Whenever I put in a fresh set of NGK BKR6E-11, my engine runs smoother, accelerates quicker and pretty women wave at me more vigorously.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
OEM only way to go

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
OEM service interval for regular plugs is 16,000 mi.

At one point I thought about the spiffy "100,000 mile" iridiums. Realistically, I think they would be fine for ~32,000 miles but no way I'd run them over ~50K, for fear of seizing in the cylinder if nothing else. They basically cost 4x as much and I might get 2x as much life out of them. Changing plugs is a good inspection and simple and, heck, you need to be in the left side anyway to drain the air box line. So I thought myself back around full circle to sticking with normal plugs changed at 16K.

Player's choice.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I think that running your plugs too long contributes to shorter coil life. Enough so, that I dbl check the gaps in between changes.

Richard
Yes, gap matters. And I understand that regapping (without replacing) if they've worn a bit is a solid improvement over doing nothing. However, at only ~$2 a plug, if I care enough to go in there and check the gap, I will just replace them.

I know I just said they're easy to get to but IMHO I'm not speaking out of both sides of my butt here. Ha ha. Others may disagree!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm a rebel and I color outside the lines. I use Autolite Xtreme Sport iridium plugs in both my wings. Not only do I get a lot of waves from pretty women, a few ugly ones throw me kisses as well.

As a reminder from an earlier NGK spark plug thread, ONLY BUY YOUR NGK PLUGS FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE! NGK plugs are the most counterfeited spark plugs out there. Often sold at bargain prices on Ebay and Amazon. NGK even has information and pictures on their website on how to spot cheap, counterfeit "NGK" labeled plugs made by hand in Chinese "factories." Buyer beware.

Reactions: cycledude

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
This should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
^ good warning. Legit concern.

Isn't Autolite the 2nd most counterfeited? ;)

Could be, but I don't purchase them from ebay or Amazon. I've gotten them from O'Reilly's Auto parts and they came individually packaged on display cards.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts