GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Motorheads,

2018 DCT.

I have the videos from Fred. I have watched more than a few of them. EXCELLENT !! Anyway.............here's my question this time around.

While I'm changing the plugs, is there another normal maintenance job I should be doing while I'm into this ?? I don't want to puit it all back together only to find out I have to remove some panels, etc. all over again. I realize this should be a pretty straighforward job ( plugs ) with not too many panles, etc. being taken off. I don't want to have to watch ALL the videos to help get my answer.

For instance..................I see where ( I think ) one has to remove the mirrors ( a small job in itself ) to get to the panel that comes off to change the air filter.

Do any of you know and can help me ??

Thanks !!!

·
Love The DCT
11,783 Posts
If you‘re replacing spark plugs at 16K miles, the air filter is the other item called out for replacement at 16K miles.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you‘re replacing spark plugs at 16K miles, the air filter is the other item called out for replacement at 16K miles.

There you go !! Thanks. I see that. I believe getting to the plugs and air filter are completely independent of each other as far as stripping the bike of panels.

BTW.... I'm over 21K miles.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've got 30K my plugs and pulled one to check it. It looked great and so I left them all alone. In a great engine, that doesn't burn oil, has great electrics to include coil, etc,etc. Plugs will l last a long long time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just walked back in from changing the plugs on mine. I have a little over 16k on the bike and my plugs looked pretty good too. But for a few bucks each I put my trust in the Honda recommendation and changed them anyway. Compared to that $#@%$# air cleaner, this was a breeze to do. BTW Fred’s videos were big help to do both these projects!

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
938 Posts
Had my guy...yes I have a guy, check my my air filter at 16 K and it was so clean he just blew it out. Had to be clean as he is a proactive wrench and usually would replace. Plugs? yeah right. I'll think about them around 50 or 60 k perhaps.

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
Motorheads,

2018 DCT.

I have the videos from Fred. I have watched more than a few of them. EXCELLENT !! Anyway.............here's my question this time around.

While I'm changing the plugs, is there another normal maintenance job I should be doing while I'm into this ?? I don't want to puit it all back together only to find out I have to remove some panels, etc. all over again. I realize this should be a pretty straighforward job ( plugs ) with not too many panles, etc. being taken off. I don't want to have to watch ALL the videos to help get my answer.

For instance..................I see where ( I think ) one has to remove the mirrors ( a small job in itself ) to get to the panel that comes off to change the air filter.

Do any of you know and can help me ??

Thanks !!!
Mileage ???

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've been following the service intervals specified in the service manual. At least fairly closely. My plugs looked fine, but the bike seemed to like the new plugs (bought them pre-gapped, but checked anyway and they were perfect). Changing the air filter was definitely more than a two beer job (in fact one could get royally drunk before completing this job). Thankfully, I had Fred videos to guide me through the process, but other than being overly involved, it wasn't really that bad. One thing that I have neglected is the parking brake. I need to adjust the cable and pads, but for some reason I just can't get around to it. It's almost too easy. Plus, I don't really use it if I can help it.
I don't know that the service intervals listed in the service manual are organized for performing tasks other than by milage. So, just following the manual would, to me, be the best approach, but certainly you can do things earlier or later. It's you nickel.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just changed my plugs awhile back at 35000 miles. The gaps were right at the high side of tolerance at .035 and .036 on a couple plugs. The new plugs were at .031.
I have to say it didn't seem to run any different with the new plugs, but I feel it was time to change them. I could have re-gapped them, but I thought that would
be silly because of the low cost of new plugs.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
I went 40k miles one time with the plugs on my old wing..pulled the plugs and the gap was larger than spec but you couldnt tell by the way the bike ran...installed new plugs with correct gap and could tell no difference at all how the bike ran..it didnt start up any faster or run any different with the new spark plugs..I still change my plugs close to the maintaince schedule but I have seen no difference if you go a bit farther than Honda says to....samething with the air filter on the old model...every air filter I changed at 16k miles on my bike and friends bikes looked nearly like new at 16k miles...havnt done this new wing yet...some have reported this new wing goes through air filters faster than the old model..will see when I change my air filter this spring.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
The specified plug is a standard grade NGK with gap at .9mm (,0354"). So far as I can tell, only the Honda branded version is pre-gapped at .9mm and can be quite expensive compared to other gap versions of same plug by NGK. It is easy to regap and .8mm plugs are common and can be found priced much lower, but price varies wildly. I use the NGK store. NGK's recommended service life is about twice that called for by Honda.

prs

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I went 40k miles one time with the plugs on my old wing..pulled the plugs and the gap was larger than spec but you couldnt tell by the way the bike ran...installed new plugs with correct gap and could tell no difference at all how the bike ran..it didnt start up any faster or run any different with the new spark plugs..I still change my plugs close to the maintaince schedule but I have seen no difference if you go a bit farther than Honda says to....samething with the air filter on the old model...every air filter I changed at 16k miles on my bike and friends bikes looked nearly like new at 16k miles...havnt done this new wing yet...some have reported this new wing goes through air filters faster than the old model..will see when I change my air filter this spring.
The previous model bike was firing the plugs twice per cycle and the new one only once. Wide gaps stress coils.

prs

Reactions: Hoopdc and bigbird1

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Ive read that before but how does wide gaps in spark plugs stress coils...doesnt the coil send out certain charge of energy regardless

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Ive read that before but how does wide gaps in spark plugs stress coils...doesnt the coil send out certain charge of energy regardless
The coil's job ends when the voltage it produces is enough to bridge the air gap across the plug's electrodes.
If that air gap is wider than normal, the coil keeps building voltage longer, until the plug eventually fires.
Every time the coil is energized, the magnetic flux in the primary of the coil induces a current not only in the secondary of the coil, but also in the core of the coil.
That current in the core of the coil is called an eddy current.
That eddy current causes heat to build up in the core.
Heat eventually degrades the insulation of the tiny wires inside the coil.
Then the coil will internally short out.
There is also hysteresis loss in a transformer (a coil is a transformer)
When the magnetic field reverses in the coil as the field collapses, a counter current is induced in the core also.
This also produces heat and efficiency loss in a transformer.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
The specified plug is a standard grade NGK with gap at .9mm (,0354"). So far as I can tell, only the Honda branded version is pre-gapped at .9mm and can be quite expensive compared to other gap versions of same plug by NGK. It is easy to regap and .8mm plugs are common and can be found priced much lower, but price varies wildly. I use the NGK store. NGK's recommended service life is about twice that called for by Honda.

prs
Watch out for China knock offs on NGK.
If they are really cheap, they are fakes.
Good info on the web to spot fake ones.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Watch out for China knock offs on NGK.
If they are really cheap, they are fakes.
Good info on the web to spot fake ones.
That is why I use the NGK store. I have no idea how or if they are related to NGK, but so foar all the product I have from there has passed the counterfeit checks. I am amazed that Amazon allows counterfeiters to use their system.

prs

·
Registered
16,852 Posts

A little deep. And I am not sure how "C" functions in modern automotive ignition circuits. I am more at ease with points, condenser, coil systems. ;-)

prs

1 - 20 of 59 Posts