GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As long as I've been on this forum, I don't ever remember any discussions about anyone replacing them.

Both of my Goldwing never got replaced as long as I owned them.

1st bike had @110,000 miles, I bought it @75,000 miles.

Current bike @83,000 miles, bought it @62,000 miles from a dealership but, don't know if they ever replaced spark plugs.

Have anyone replaced their's, at what mileage and frequency/reason why?

Any specific brand of plugs?

Temperature of plugs?

Thanks馃憤馃

DSI Keeper
Since replacing plugs is considered basic bike care maintenance, one never replaces plugs with the expectation of improved performance. While I may have let the mileage go beyond the 16k mile requirement, I usually had them replaced by 20k. I was always under the impression, that as the plug performance degrades, it would induce a greater strain on the ignition system. I always stayed with NGK plugs, using the recommended type.

Registered
As long as I've been on this forum, I don't ever remember any discussions about anyone replacing them.

Current bike @83,000 miles, bought it @62,000 miles from a dealership but, don't know if they ever replaced spark plugs.

Temperature of plugs?

Thanks馃憤馃
Surely you aren't serious?
I suppose you dont change your oil either?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My name is NOT surely and I am serious.

Why fix something that's not broke?

Bikes NEVER missed a beat, smooth as ever, no knocking, smoking or otherwise show ANY indication of problem.

Don't fix anything that's not broke.

Change oil? You supposed to do that?

Get serious dude, I'm asking, not looking for smart a$$ remarks.

Registered
2015 RED/Black Anniversary 1800
There have been numerous threads on here over the years, many recent ones.
Check the archives.

New plugs should allow Scoot to start easier, and perhaps slithery improve fuel mileage.

If you mite want to continue your present spark plug maintenance schedule perhaps change to Iridium (SP),then you can probably forget about them for the rest of the time you have your 'Wing,

Registered
I change mine at 32K when I do a valve check. The spark gap is getting real close to the recommended max gap by then.

Just pull them and check the gap. I would think you are way overdue for replacement. These are wear items and do not last forever. These are not iridium plugs that last 100K miles like are on cars now a days. Your milage, performance, and strain on the ignition system will greatly improve.

Registered
I'm an advocate for replacing plugs every other year. Whether it needs it or not. Gives me peace of mind. Even if you don't change them, at least check them. Inspection will tell you quite a bit about the performance of each cylinder. I've found a few times over the years the gap to no longer be in tolerance. And it was running fine. Cheap way of preventing a major catastrophe. That's my two cents worth.

Registered

Temperature of plugs?

Thanks馃憤馃
Hi Kodiak,
From what I understand as the plugs wear, they cause an added strain on the coils. A bike may run fine with worn plugs but it they cause the coils to fail that鈥檚 a much more difficult repair. Easier to replace the plugs once-in-a-while. I鈥檇 use the factory recommended plug. Don鈥檛 recall what my 06 or 18 required but I still have my 06 manual if you want me to check. Just my opinion.

Registered
I change out my plugs EVERY SEASON, Along with being an oil changeOHLIC I use the NGK brand that's recommended in my book... If you need the exact numbers, I will get them for you... I honestly don't care how many miles I go on each plug change (I just change them)along with radiator fluid, and of course oil and filter..... I just don't see the reason, some folks just check the plugs and then put old ones back in.... [just be sure you have the correct gap on your plug that's recommended in you book]

Ronnie
11/19/22

Reactions: Kodiak536

Registered

Bikes NEVER missed a beat, smooth as ever, no knocking, smoking or otherwise show ANY indication of problem.

If you were riding anything but a Honda, it would be broke.
Oh sorry, you must be one of those unfortunate owners that has lost his owners manual.
Lots of good info in it for maintenance recommendations.
Ill send you a pdf file if that would help you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Kodiak,
From what I understand as the plugs wear, they cause an added strain on the coils. A bike may run fine with worn plugs but it they cause the coils to fail that鈥檚 a much more difficult repair. Easier to replace the plugs once-in-a-while. I鈥檇 use the factory recommended plug. Don鈥檛 recall what my 06 or 18 required but I still have my 06 manual if you want me to check. Just my opinion.
Thanks, I never thought about that.

When bike run as smooth and trouble free for so long, I tend to forget about them.

Registered
I am pretty much in tune with Murgie. These are ordinary standard grade plugs that show gap increase with use and loss of the sharp edges on the center electrode and the anode. That loss of edges and the increased gap lead to higher resistance, I am told. The plugs can be re-gapped and used again, but the crispness of the edges is still lost. But, being relatively inexpensive standard grade plugs, it seems a bit contrary to not just replace them. I am not certain that worn plugs really do stress the coils, since the coils "unload" by a timing sense and not by any detection of plug resistance. I have noticed that the wear of gap and feature crispness of the plugs on the new model bikes appears to be far less than with the previous editiion.

I replaced mine at the first Honda spec interval and threw away perfectly good set of original plugs. My next set replaced at Honda's interval for valve checks since I remove the plugs at that time anyway; again, they looded good and only one step out of gap. I think I will just replace at valve check intervals, same with air filter swaps. Do it all at once and forget about it. I do not buy the Honda branded NGK plugs, but rather the same plug model under the NGK brand. The last number of the NGK branded plugs will be different since Honda has theirs made to a slightly different gap, but regapping to Honda spec is no big deal at all.

prs

prs

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you were riding anything but a Honda, it would be broke.
Oh sorry, you must be one of those unfortunate owners that has lost his owners manual.
Lots of good info in it for maintenance recommendations.
Ill send you a pdf file if that would help you.
No need, I do have one. I change engine oil frequently, rear differential every so often and air filter when thoughts cross my mind.

Funny, my other vehicles gets it all done(by somebody else) as frequent as it needs to be.

Some reason, my bike's scheduled maintenance gets slacked treatment...

I need to change that, since I ride my bike MORE than I drive my truck or wife's brand new car ..just can't stay off my bike long enough to do routine stuff on days off.

Registered
On my 92 1500, I changed them once at 60k and sold the bike at 112K, My 01 1800 I never changed them and the bike was run over by some woman and totalled it at 46k
I looked at my plugs on my current 1800 and did not change them but did check the plug gaps. They were spot on at 47K. Plugs in the past would wear out the center electrode and cause the gap to get larger. And that is why you changed them more often. Plugs today last longer because they are built better. Remember when it was recommended to change oil every 3K. Not anymore. Most cars recommended anywhere above 5K. Except Lube shops still want you to change every 3 because they want more money.

I do believe you should look at your plugs every 24K to 30K because you are taking them out and putting them back in and that keeps the threads on the plugs from freezing in the head and making them harder to get out. When I take my plugs out and check the gap, I also take a wire brush to the plug threads.

Registered

Try changing them and see the deference. Needing new plugs don't mean it's broke, it's called basic maintenance

Registered
I'm not trying to get into pizzing contest here, with any body, BUT if your taking the time to remove all the plugs and JUST check the gap on them, "honestly" why not just replace with (the correct sized) BRAND NEW PLUGS the good book calls for..???
it takes the exact time to replace with brand new!!!!

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 34 Posts