GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I'm not trying to get into pizzing contest here, with any body, BUT if your taking the time to remove all the plugs and JUST check the gap on them, "honestly" why not just replace with (the correct sized) BRAND NEW PLUGS the good book calls for..???
it takes the exact time to replace with brand new!!!!

Ronnie
Goldwing owners in spite of riding one of the most expensive motorcycles on the road are notoriously cheap. Spark plugs cost big bucks; $3.39 each at Partzilla. Multiply that by 6 and it’s almost a tank full of gasoline!!! ;)

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Goldwing owners in spite of riding one of the most expensive motorcycles on the road are notoriously cheap. Spark plugs cost big bucks; $3.39 each at Partzilla. Multiply that by 6 and it’s almost a tank full of gasoline!!! ;)

I can't even afford a full tank of gas now-a-days o_O What happened??? :unsure: lol

Ronnie
11/20/22

Reactions: Jack2

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm not trying to get into pizzing contest here, with any body, BUT if your taking the time to remove all the plugs and JUST check the gap on them, "honestly" why not just replace with (the correct sized) BRAND NEW PLUGS the good book calls for..???

Ronnie
Easy answer....."You can lead a horse to water, but cannot make it drink." Common sense is not utilized much anymore.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
There are two things that are easy to change oil and plugs. Oil is obvious 4 to 5 K for me plugs I try to do within the 12k range. The plugs wear down and in doing so the engine will continue to run just fine but the coils work harder to provide the spark due to the increased gap. That might not seem like much of a big deal. I promise you changing coils on the Gl1800 is not an easy peesey task…… just one more thing the brake/clutch fluid another one of those things that if it isn’t broke don’t fix… but trust me when crud builds up in brake and clutch line things will go wrong at some point then suddenly a lack of changing brake/clutch fluid will turn into a nightmare as it just happened to a friend with a 20 year old bike….. just a recommendation be guided according…. Best of luck…

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Ronnie
No it don't. It takes few MORE minutes to gap all the new plugs...that's extra time I could spend doing NOTHING😁🤭 Just being a smart azz...👌🙈🙉🙊

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have several bikes and other vehicles and hate wasting money on consumables that are still in good shape. My 1978 GL got new plugs and contact points when they were worn but inspected yearly. My 1995 Honda VT1100C2 I kept taking the old plugs out and inspecting and putting them back in (though I had a new set). After 15 years and 60k km I finally changed them out. My 2018 GL the plugs are still perfect at 30,000 km. Honda says change them at 25,000 km

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Cheap insurance for piece of mind and if you ever sell the bike, maintenance receipts in hand make a huge difference.

TPL, great suggestion here (y)
I keep a complete list, of "EVERYTHING" I have done to my bike from day 1 on the "blank" pages on the back of the owner's manual.....I mean everything from oil ~n~ filter changes, wax jobs, tire replacements, battery, and ALL repairs, and service done by me and Honda service dept, ....{date ~n~ mileage}.....

Ronnie
11/24/22

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I replaced the plugs in my 12 when I purchased it with 31K miles, I ordered a set of oem plugs and air filter because I was not sure of the maintenance history. When I replaced them they were all black from running rich, so I figured I would go for the quick and easy fix first by replacing the air filter. I found the filter was 95% covered with a mouse nest, and the new filter fixed the rich condition.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
When I replaced the plugs in my 12 when I purchased it with 31K miles, I ordered a set of oem plugs and air filter because I was not sure of the maintenance history. When I replaced them they were all black from running rich, so I figured I would go for the quick and easy fix first by replacing the air filter. I found the filter was 95% covered with a mouse nest, and the new filter fixed the rich condition.
This is what I'm talking about here, If you do the maintenance, on a seasonal timing, most problems won't occur, OR you find any problems, that you wouldn't have found, if you neglect your bike....(and don't do anything to it) End of season is best for me to service my bike (I'VE HAD A FEW FOLKS CLAIM THAT I PUT HER AWAY IN HIBERNATION TOO SOON) BUT when I do put her away it's still warm enough, to sit in my garage, and change the oil ~n~ filter, replace that radiator fluid, change those spark plugs, add stabilizer to fuel, take battery out of bike and place on a maintainer in my warm cellar..............Life is good! Come on April 1st......:p

Ronnie
11/27/22

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
As long as I've been on this forum, I don't ever remember any discussions about anyone replacing them.

Both of my Goldwing never got replaced as long as I owned them.

1st bike had @110,000 miles, I bought it @75,000 miles.

Current bike @83,000 miles, bought it @62,000 miles from a dealership but, don't know if they ever replaced spark plugs.

Have anyone replaced their's, at what mileage and frequency/reason why?

Any specific brand of plugs?

Temperature of plugs?

Thanks👍🤙
My last change was at 68,202 miles. Plugs were clean, still within spec, and the tip looked as good as the new plugs.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My last change was at 68,202 miles. Plugs were clean, still within spec, and the tip looked as good as the new plugs.
That's why I hesitate to replace mine. I actually went to store and bought 6 NGK plugs last weekend...still sitting on the bench in garage over 4 day weekend🤫 maybe next Sunday when I'm off work...maybe😁

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Just a suggestion here only: BUT what I did when I first change'd out my plugs ....I put a wiretie on the two outside plug wires this way your can't misplace the wires by putting the wrong plug wire on the wrong plug...
Ronnie
12/3/22

21 - 39 of 39 Posts