GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just finished taking care of a rear brake system flush and a small rear bleeder leak. Started to pick up my tools and resume my tool box organization chores when curiosity got the best of me. I was right there by the right head and wondered how those spark plugs would look at just a trifle under 8,000 miles. My 2002 was pretty hard on plugs, with gaps pretty far out of spec at Honda service interval. So, off with the ****-O-Pegs, fog light covers, and side covers. Off with the coils and out with the plugs. They looked great. The gaps were just a little UNDER the .9mm spec. My 9mm wire gauge would not fit in, my 8.3 was just a snug fit. Getting away from the wasted spark ignition of the older model is probably why these are not eroding as quickly as the older model’s plugs did They were all the same, so buttoned it all up and put the tools away. I will replace the plugs at the scheduled time, but I think I will be tossing perfectly good plugs.

prs

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Honda says range is 0.8 to 0.9, so sounds like they are still about perfect!

Good to know they seem to last.:thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Checked mine tonight, since I had the covers off anyway to install fog/driving lights, and they were all on the looser half of in-spec (9700 miles). ...plugs all looked good too!

·
Registered
930 Posts
One thing to remember that even if the spark plug electrodes look good, after a while the metal inside the plug itself starts to breakdown and creates more resistance and doesn't pass the current to the plug gap like it should which then causes the coil itself to work harder. That is one reason they put service limits on the plugs.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing to remember that even if the spark plug electrodes look good, after a while the metal inside the plug itself starts to breakdown and creates more resistance and doesn't pass the current to the plug gap like it should which then causes the coil itself to work harder. That is one reason they put service limits on the plugs.
I did not know that. Odd thing is, NGK lists a longer service life than Honda. I have one piece of equipment, a slope mower, that gives 1,000 hours as service life on standard NGK plugs. So far, its plugs have been shot at 100 hours or less. I changed to a cooler running plug on that Kubota commercial gasoline engine and so far, much better. Seems I have to ride that danged thing more than I get to ride the cycles.

prs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts