GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove 30 miles to local Honda shop to pick up a few things asked for a set of plugs for my 05 wing today I decided to put them in and got three of them in before I noticed the difference I expected to get NGK BKR6E-11 which is the standard plug for the 1800 but he gave me NGK BKR5E-11 which in the Clymers manual is listed as a cold weather plug, so any thoughts on that? They are listed to run in 41 degree temps, does anyone else use these or should they go back?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,222 Posts
Drove 30 miles to local Honda shop to pick up a few things asked for a set of plugs for my 05 wing today I decided to put them in and got three of them in before I noticed the difference I expected to get NGK BKR6E-11 which is the standard plug for the 1800 but he gave me NGK BKR5E-11 which in the Clymers manual is listed as a cold weather plug, so any thoughts on that? They are listed to run in 41 degree temps, does anyone else use these or should they go back?
Take them back, unless you are going to ride in the very far north all summer.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I guess that is why I buy most parts and stuff online. I specify the part number or whatever and have almost always gotten exactly what I wanted.

And I don't have to burn the gas for a 30 minute trip one way to a dealer that may or may not have the part in stock.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Take them back, unless you are going to ride in the very far north all summer.
Well, he is in the almost very far north in Minnesota which may be why the dealer there stocks NGK BKR5E-11 which are "hotter" plugs

COLD PLUG for HOT TEMPS 7
STANDARD 6
HOTTER FOR COLD TEMPS 5

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,222 Posts
Running a plug that is for a colder temp range can cause excessive pre-ignition knock. Unless Minnesota is going to average 41 degrees for the life of the plugs, I would change them to the standard plugs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys

That's kind of what I figured but thought I would ask to see what others are using. There going back and will get the standard NGK's they should have given at first, and yes I do think I will do more online buying in the future. Thanks for taking time to reply.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just curious, what did they charge per plug? I just paid $2.19 a piece at the auto parts store.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Get these and no more issues for about 75K miles….NKG Iridium BKR6EIX-11 #3764 .40 Gap…..http://www.ebay.com/itm/NGK-BKR6EIX-11-Iridium-IX-Spark-Plugs-Set-of-6-/231171641330?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d2e74ff2&vxp=mtr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts