GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the plugs on my 2012 for the first time at home. Is there a specific spark plug socket that people use to get to the plugs on the right bank without needing to also remove the valve cover? The one I had worked fine on the left bank, but the lower arms on the valve cover interfered with fitting the socket into the plug wells on the right.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I'm thinking the "arms" that you refer to, must be for a set of after-market (not Honda) highway pegs that are on your bike.

If you can, please provide a picture of what you are dealing with.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Just changed the plugs on my 2012 for the first time at home. Is there a specific spark plug socket that people use to get to the plugs on the right bank without needing to also remove the valve cover? The one I had worked fine on the left bank, but the lower arms on the valve cover interfered with fitting the socket into the plug wells on the right.
I changed the plugs on my 2015 a few months ago, no special tools needed but I did need to remove the foot pegs to get to the front plugs. Not sure if I had to do it on both sides or not.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
No special socket needed just need to move /remove hwy peg

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking the "arms" that you refer to, must be for a set of after-market (not Honda) highway pegs that are on your bike.

If you can, please provide a picture of what you are dealing with.
I do not have any highway pegs on my bike. The "arms" I am talking about are for the lower bolts that hold on the valve cover that is the upper part of the cylinder head cover that contains the oil gaskets and covers the camshaft. You would remove it to check the valve clearances. Once I removed that I was able to access the spark plugs with the socket I have. I'm not sure why the two banks would be just a bit difference in regards to that detail.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Need pictures. There are no "lower arms on the valve cover" on a stock bike.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
I do not have any highway pegs on my bike. The "arms" I am talking about are for the lower bolts that hold on the valve cover that is the upper part of the cylinder head cover that contains the oil gaskets and covers the camshaft. You would remove it to check the valve clearances. Once I removed that I was able to access the spark plugs with the socket I have. I'm not sure why the two banks would be just a bit difference in regards to that detail.
I'm confused here as well as your original post. A picture would greatly help.

I use the same 5/8" spark plug socket on all 5th gens. It's nothing more then a conventional spark-plug socket. To get to the spark plugs, the lower part of the cylinder head cover must be removed, and nothing else. To remove the 5 bolts on either side, I remove the black, rubber, plugs that fills the 5 bolt holes, then use a 6mm hex socket to remove the bolts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=334127&thumb=1

This is a scan from the manual, but is of the left bank, as I don't feel like opening up the right side again at this time. I hilighted the "arms" I am talking about. On the right side the geometry of those arms kept my non-spark plug specific socket (a 5/8" deep socket 1/2" drive) from being able to reach into the spark plug well.

It would be great if someone could mention the brand/model of spark plug socket they use. I suspect the issue is that the socket I have is just too bulky to fit on the right bank.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
{Quote} "I suspect the issue is that the socket I have is just too bulky to fit on the right bank." {Quote}

You are correct, use a spec'd thin wall socket & labeled for spark plugs and you should be good to go.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=334127&thumb=1

It would be great if someone could mention the brand/model of spark plug socket they use. I suspect the issue is that the socket I have is just too bulky to fit on the right bank.
Like Doug says, you need a spark plug socket. Spark plug sockets are a specialty tool found in most tool boxes and probably most tool sets. You can buy them most anywhere. Even Ace hardware would sell them. The one I used for years was a Craftsman and it worked fine. I now use one made by SnapOn. Both have the rubber inserts to support and protect the porcelain of the spark plug, and both were 3/8" drive. Below is a picture of their various sizes.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts