GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the plugs on my 01. The ones I took out wern't that bad. Just didn't know when the previous owner changed them. However all were gapped about 48-50. One had a line indention all the way across the tip and was gapped about 55. Does anyone know what causes this:?: Thanks
Brian T. in Tn.
Go Vols

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
vol,

Something sounds fishy. You mention only one plug with an "indentation". Only one? Is the indentation a machined v-groove? Some plugs have this feature. Sounds like the previous owner or someone else just grabbed a/some plugs and put them in. If that's the case, I'll bet they didn't do a very good job of gapping either. So that's my guess about the gap being so large - they weren't right to begin with. Another factor is wear, but wear will not acccount for that big of a gap change if they were set right initially.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The center post in the ceramic is the one with the grove and the big gap.
They were all the NGK recommended plug. All were out of gap and only one had the grove. :roll:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
volcycle said:
I just changed the plugs on my 01. The ones I took out wern't that bad. Just didn't know when the previous owner changed them. However all were gapped about 48-50. One had a line indention all the way across the tip and was gapped about 55. Does anyone know what causes this:?: Thanks
Brian T. in Tn.
Go Vols
At one time, all of those plugs had a V-groove in the center electrode and were gapped at .043". You just removed the original spark plugs, and they were badly worn out. Sometimes, I wonder just how trashed plugs need to be before folks stop thinking they don't look bad. LOL

Stu

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Stu_O said:
At one time, all of those plugs had a V-groove in the center electrode and were gapped at .043". You just removed the original spark plugs, and they were badly worn out. Sometimes, I wonder just how trashed plugs need to be before folks stop thinking they don't look bad. LOL

Stu
Thanks for some education, Stu. I change my own plugs and have had plugs misfire with much less gap than what volcycle had. So I've never seen them that bad.

volcycle, how many (s)miles were on those plugs, do you know?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know how many miles. The previous owner didn't write anything in the book. I just pulled the airfilter and it looks pretty dirty also. My bike has about 45000 on it. I wish people would keep better records. I always write down every thing I do in the owners manual. It makes it easier on everyone especially me.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
volcycle said:
The previous owner didn't write anything in the book. I just pulled the airfilter and it looks pretty dirty also. My bike has about 45000 on it.
Possibly, nothing was written down because nothing was done? 45k on a set of plugs could get them to where your's were, and 45k sounds about right for a pretty dirty air filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts