GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my F6B 2 years ago with ~6k miles and decided to go through it and do all the maintenance since it was 3 years old when I got it. I researched and bought Denso Iridium Plugs on eBay. They arrived and were a Chinese knock off that weren’t even close to Denso in packaging nor product. Returned them and bought another set off eBay from a different seller. They arrived in proper looking packaging but the plug quality of fit and finish were poor. The plugs varied too much from one to another to feel confident so I returned those too. Bought NGK V Power from a vender of a GW forum when I bought other maintenance items. So I put them in back then and the OEM plug inside was a Denso U Groove and they looked very good - quality and wear wise. Well I pulled them out and replaced them today. I purchased Denso Iridium Long Life plugs after looking at them and the Denso Iridium Power plugs at my local Napa Auto Parts store. The plugs looked great quality wise. I am now 100% sure the sets I received on eBay were fake. I went with the OEM auto manufacturer Long Life Iridium plug because the electrode was more robust in size and because of the longevity. The Denso Iridium Power Plug longevity is ~ 9k to 12k miles according to their documents. Don’t get me wrong. Plug changes are easy on the GW but such a short longevity gives me pause on their durability. I did learn that I prefer Denso over NGK and that I will now buy local after inspecting the parts. Very pleased now but I look back and laugh at my experience.

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
5th gens are a nearly perfect running vehicle when maintained per Honda's recommendations. No where does Honda call for iridiums. Not even in the 6th gens. Why install iridiums ... some members report problems with them ???

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Yeah, the fakes are out there in great numbers. Somewhere around here there's a thread warning about fakes on ebay. Glad you've got it worked out.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Yeah, the fakes are out there in great numbers. Somewhere around here there's a thread warning about fakes on ebay. Glad you've got it worked out.
NGK's web page shows how to identify them.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Gregg says OEM, I will go OEM

Ronnie

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Some riders insist on premium fuel, iridium plugs waste of money and may reduce the performance of the machine...

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
50 Posts
5th gens are a nearly perfect running vehicle when maintained per Honda's recommendations. No where does Honda call for iridiums. Not even in the 6th gens. Why install iridiums ... some members report problems with them ???
Why ? Iridiums can last and last....they keep their gap intact much longer. To me, that is an improvement over the basic plug type.
My2 cents worth.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iridium plugs come in several Honda motorcycles. I went with the iridium plugs as technology keeps moving forward. Yes, problems can occur if installer damages the tip when gapping the electrode. From my experience platinum plugs cause issues as they run hot. I think plug wise doesn’t make that big of a difference besides reading for wear and issues which can be done easily with a copper plug. So easy to install and change plugs on a GL1800 makes no reason not to experiment if one chooses to do so.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Joflewbyu2....in response to your Ebay plug purchases, Screw me once shame on you, Screw me twice shame on me. :wink2:

Reactions: MountainRider

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I don't get burned like many of the stories I read about, because I predominantly stick with OEM recommended parts bought from established retailers. When I veer from OEM, I don't second guess the manufacturer just because I think I have a better idea. That means I don't use iridium plugs or foam air filters or house branded parts, and I don't buy parts from places places like Fleabay. If I go to something other than OEM, it usually takes a pretty compelling reason.

I go well beyond Honda's recommended spark plug interval, admittedly out of simple laziness. But I easily go 25K on a set of OEM plugs and have never had any issues.

I am not even close to being as loyal to Honda parts and procedures as Greg is, but OEM is still the first place I look for parts, and that approach has never failed me. Some people may not mind getting burned now and then, but it would really irritate me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts