GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Miles travelled before changing spark plugs on your 2018+ Goldwing

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, modern spark plugs are good for 100K miles or more on modern automotive engines. Why in hell would Honda require plugs be changed at 20K?

Anyhow...my poll of the group...what is the longest you've gone without changing plugs.

Also, please comment if, once you changed them, you noticed any performance difference (i.e. did they need changing)

·
Registered
341 Posts
It is sorta shocking when you compare the maintenance schedule of a motorcycle to a modern car/pickup. Service intervals on Motorcycles are a fraction of the modern automobile. I had 150,000 miles on my last Chevy Tahoe and it still had the Original Coolant. Changed the spark plugs at 125,000

·
Love The DCT
12,290 Posts
So, modern spark plugs are good for 100K miles or more on modern automotive engines. Why in hell would Honda require plugs be changed at 20K?

Anyhow...my poll of the group...what is the longest you've gone without changing plugs.

Also, please comment if, once you changed them, you noticed any performance difference (i.e. did they need changing)
Spark plug changeout on the 2018 and up wings is every 16K miles per the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Spark plugs were checked at approximately 20,000 then again at 32,000. I replaced the plugs at 32,000 since they were out and I had new ones even though they probably could have gone to 50,000 easy. Plug gap erosion was minimal to none existent as I was not sure what they were gapped at when installed but all were clean and within specs. The new plugs gave me no seat of the pants or gas mileage improvement at all nor any difference in idle. Your experiences may vary.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could the perceived short change out interval be a preventative maintenance thing? Maybe so that the plugs do not seize in the head? Just thinking of other Possible reasons.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,415 Posts
My take is 30-40K; about half of what a car would get. Motorcycles typically turn 50-100% more RPMs than a car, so that's 1.5-2X the number of firings per mile. So - 30-40K.

I did my CTX at 45K, and they were still pretty decent.

·
IronMan
18,045 Posts
RUN IRIDIUMS 100,000 MILES MY 05 HAD OVER 100,000 ON THEM LEFT THEM IN THERE UNTIL I NOTICED DROP IN MILEAGE AND POWER WHEN CHANGED ONE WAS P[RETTY WELL SHOT :sneaky: RUNNING THEM IN MY 14 NOW AND HAVE OVER 80,000 NOW . MITE BE MORE ? BUT THEN AGAIN I RUN WALMART FILTER N DIESEL OIL OH AND DONT FORGET THE CAR TIRE :cool:

Reactions: schnits

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think it is funny the topic was changing plugs on a 2018+. What the heck is the difference in that motor vs. any other 1800 Goldwing motor. The motors are the same it is the transmissions, etc. that are different. My 1992 had plugs changed at 80,000 and my 2001 never until it was totaled at 46,000. I would take them out and clean and maybe re-gap them and put them back in every 20k or so.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,226 Posts
Changed my spark plugs at 20k miles...the old ones looked as good as the new ones did...with my 2003 wing, I changed the spark plugs at 40k miles and the old ones had a slighty larger gap than the new ones, but I could tell no difference at all with the new plugs in the bike.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My ST1300 had the same service schedule, I pulled the plugs at about 24k and they were right in spec and clean. Sold the bike with a hundred and thirty thousand miles on it and still had the same plugs that I replaced a 24K, it ran fine. I would suspect this bike to do not much differently. I have 38k this and it runs fine.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
I change my plugs out every season, (along with the oil/filter) BUT too be truthful, I really can not see any difference what's so ever (now that I'm thinking about it)

Ronnie

·
Registered
17,201 Posts

The OE spark plug model is not what you may think of as being a "modern spark plug". These are ordinary "standard" plugs and this model has been in use for decades with exception of the Honda factory gap specification suffiix. You can get the same exact plug in other pre-gaps and simply regap to Honda's spec if you so desire and such plugs can be very inexpensive.

I checked my plugs early when Fred first released his valve check video; the plugs were pristine and the valves were all spot on at about 10 or 12 thousand miles. I changed the plugs last winter at just under 20,000 miles and tossed the still perfectly good original plugs. This new bike is WAY easier on spark plugs than is the older model that has "wasted spark" ignition.

Someone mentioned using the modern rare element type plugs; what specific plug would that be and what cost difference? Inquiring minds and all of that rot.

prs

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Went well over 100K miles on the plugs on my 88 GL1500. I think I changed them once. Sold the bike with nearly 250K on it.

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red
483 Posts
PR- iridium spark plugs, NGK sells them.
Iridium spark plugs

Iridium is said to be six times harder and eight times stronger than platinum with a 700° higher melting point. Iridium spark plugs have extremely fine electrodes while retaining excellent wear characteristics. Thanks to its strength, iridium spark plugs can last up to 25% longer than comparable platinum spark plugs.

List of the Disadvantages of Iridium Spark Plugs
  • The cost of iridium spark plugs is their primary disadvantage. ...
  • You may not see an improvement in performance. ...
  • Different layering techniques can create subpar results. ...
  • Some coatings can be brittle. ...
  • Dust from iridium spark plugs offers a higher risk of flammability.

l’m not on their payroll and I don’t use them.

·
Registered
19,540 Posts
I maintain per the manual

·
Registered
745 Posts
I agree with Pigeon Roost. I changed mine on my 2018 at 35,000 miles and the gaps had only opened up around 2 to 3 thousandths. I'll probably wait till 50,000 miles on my 2021. I noticed no change in gas mileage or performance.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I normally change plugs when I check the valves. If for some reason, I cannot get plugs in time for the check, I will re-gap and clean them and put them back in. But that only happened once because I realized it was check time already and had the time to do it the upcoming weekend. I also do an oil change at the same time. I did my first valve check on my 2018 a few months ago and it got new plugs. When I get back from my 3 week vacation to the other side of the Mississippi R., I will be due for my 2010 getting its next valve check, oil change, and plugs..... I guess I need to remember to order plugs soon..... I will add a set of 2018 brake pads to the order, I installed my "on hand" set for it a couple weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts