GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why did the left bank seem to have more tan build up than the right side? Also please explain why 16k is necessary, Thank you.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The 16 K requirement is Honda’s recommendation and on that I agree with. The gap increases causing the coils to increase out put wearing them prematurely... and they are. PITA to change especially on an abs model. As to the other question I’ll leave that for the more technical FredH and others...
Joe

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I just changed mine at 67,202 miles and the gap was still in spec and they looked fine.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Well this begs the question... was this the FIRST time the bike had it's plugs changed, if not, what was the mileage interval since last change?
It was the first change.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That’s incredible... plugs must be iridium...? When did you change last??
No, this was the first change and were stock plugs that came in it. It had the Denso plugs rather than NGK.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Incredible luck you have had with those plugs if this was your first change @ 67,000 miles......................I replace mine before every season starts, along with new anti freeze (Honda's 50/50 mixture)
new oil/filter, replaced, brakes (front) replaced.....

Ronnie

·
Registered
16,491 Posts
why did the left bank seem to have more tan build up than the right side? Also please explain why 16k is necessary, Thank you.
I can fathom no logical reason why the corona stain would be greater on one side as compared to the other unless service life was also different. The stain is normal.

Not only does the gap wear, but the electrodes lose the crisp edges that lend to better sparking. The plugs, if you shop a bit, are inexepensive as compared to your effort in doing the job, so it is prudent to replace at inspection intervals.

prs

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
The ignition coils (3) are connected to the cylinders in pairs, the the plug has fired the same as in 32000 miles on a more conventional ignition.

Still not many miles with compared to many of todays engines -- but they are cheap to purchase, compared to some of the high mileage plugs.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The only way I would leave plugs for more than the recommended 16K on a Wing is with Iridium plugs...I have first hand experience with those plugs in a Honda engine even so I would do no more than 75K I would not do as I did on my CRV..... 175K.......??‍♂?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bike is a 03 with 96k, plugs were Iridium with 60k total miles. I cleaned and gapped them at 80k.Thought maybe because it leans to the left on the side stand, the oil drains more to that side? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Incredible luck you have had with those plugs if this was your first change @ 67,000 miles......................I replace mine before every season starts, along with new anti freeze (Honda's 50/50 mixture)
new oil/filter, replaced, brakes (front) replaced.....

Ronnie
Don’t know if it is luck or what. In the past, I only replaced them around 100,000 miles but after reading about the coils it made me wonder so I backed off a bit. I know of a guy that would run his over 200,000 miles with no problems so I don’t know.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Don’t know if it is luck or what. In the past, I only replaced them around 100,000 miles but after reading about the coils it made me wonder so I backed off a bit. I know of a guy that would run his over 200,000 miles with no problems so I don’t know.
200K with regular spark plugs??? Iridium maybe not regular plugs?????

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
200K with regular spark plugs??? Iridium maybe not regular plugs?????
No, they were regular plugs. The guy that changed them for him was afraid that he wouldn’t be able to get them out, but said they came out fairly easily.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Amazing....!
The situation was rather unusual, and the guy was doing something that I would hate to do even though I love to ride. He was riding roughly 250 miles round trip to and from work daily, 6 days a week year round, heat cold rain snow, etc. He was leaving out about 4am getting home about 8 pm so as long as his bike was running he didn’t give it any thought because he had to have someone to get things done to it for him if he didn’t ride. Don’t know why he decided to get them changed when he did because he said that it ran just as well before they were changed as it did after.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The situation was rather unusual, and the guy was doing something that I would hate to do even though I love to ride. He was riding roughly 250 miles round trip to and from work daily, 6 days a week year round, heat cold rain snow, etc. He was leaving out about 4am getting home about 8 pm so as long as his bike was running he didn’t give it any thought because he had to have someone to get things done to it for him if he didn’t ride. Don’t know why he decided to get them changed when he did because he said that it ran just as well before they were changed as it did after.
He is the exception to the rule for sure maybe the driving was mainly highway no stop and go traffic that’s great another testament to the Honda Gl1800 design... ??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts