GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal:

I got about 150 km's/90 miles on the '06 Wing this year before the engine started dying like I was running out of fuel. Tank is 3/4 full. Total mileage is 19839 km's/12400 miles.

Although I put StaBil in last fall and ran the fuel through for 5 mins or so, I drained the fuel and put in fresh stuff. I then pulled the plugs, and found them to be covered with soot. A brass wire brush quickly showed the soot was brand new as it disappeared with no effort to show a nice tan color. Checked the gap, all in spec. Buttoned it back up and started it up to let it run until the fans kicked in.

Ran perfectly on high idle, then about 5 mins into regular idle, it started coughing and choking like running out of fuel. But, it is actually sending way too much fuel as the exhaust turns black and smells like a gas can.

Trailered it in to the dealer as the good ole' warranty is still good. Their initial measurements show the fuel injectors on a 9ms pulse, which they say is quite high. They say the ECM had one stored code, but that it was minor and not relevant (I will be asking for what it was), so they reset the ECM, and pulled the plugs. Then found them black with soot again, and decided that they should change them to the hotter BKR5E-11's to keep from getting full of soot.

After this, they tell me the bike is running fine and the fuel injectors are at a 2.4ms pulse.

So, my thoughts are the soot was from the almost 4 times the amount of fuel being dumped vs. the plug temperature. The service manual tells me the BKR5E-11's are for cold climate riding below 5C/41F. Riding bikes in Canada for over 20 years, I have yet to spend an entire day riding below 5C. With a trip to the California desert next month, I am somewhat leary with these plugs. I need to melt something like I need a hole in MY head.

I am picking up the bike today, I would like to konw if I should push to have the BKR6E's instead.

I don't see the justification for the hotter plugs. Thoughts?

Thanks folks!

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,196 Posts
I would make them do a fuel rail pressure test. I'm betting the regulator is running too high. Or the IAT is faulty. I would also make them put the standard plugs back in.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I think if it were me. I would run some fuel injector cleaner through it.
Sitting for months even with staybil doesn't sound good.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that you have a nice, cozy, comfy, mouse nest on the top of your air filter.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that you have a nice, cozy, comfy, mouse nest on the top of your air filter.

Ooo
I didnt' think about that.
My bike moves too much and a Cat sleeps on my seat at night. So I never have to worry about that.
But thats a Good Point.
I'm thinking he's not to Cozy and comfy with you driving it though.
Now you gots you a Pissed off mouse. Next you're going to find Electrical Problems as he tries to shut you down. :22yikes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Techdude2000:

I discussed the fuel pressure with the tech. His belief is that this could have been the cause if there was too much fuel at the proper injector pulse width (2.4 ms), the the super rich condition was due to the 9 ms pulse width.

The reset of the ECM (shorting of pins in the service connector under the seat) fixed the over rich condition. He tells me it purrs just fine now.

We also discussed the plugs and 38C/100F riding: He feels that one heat range difference is not that significant, so it should be fine. I don't know enough about that to dispute.

The rest:

I cleaned (K&N) the air filter less than 50 miles ago, and nothing untoward but the odd terribly decelerated wasp in there. :cool:

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Can't the ECM also be reset by starting the bike, waiting for the fan to start (without touching the throttle) then shutting it down? Or is that just a tale the mechanics told me because they could tell I'd believe it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Shorting the service connector is only a method for erasing stored fault codes. It will not reset the ECM, nor will it fix any problems. If they saw a 9ms pulse width, either the bike had just been started when they observed the injector pulse, or some condition existed that was reported by a sensor to the ECM, causing the ECM to drive the pulse width high. No way of telling, now that they erased the stored fault codes. Putting in hotter plugs to treat a rich symptom was a bone-headed thing to do, especially now that the symptom is gone.

Stu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts