GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 which was bought new in 04. It has 32000 plus miles on it. Should the spark plugs need replacing? They have never been replaced. It was triked at 30000.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Randy, I think the maintenance schedule calls for the plugs to be changed every 16,000 miles. I have followed the interval and I have gone 35,000 miles without changing them. I couldn't really tell a difference in performance or gas mileage. FWIW.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I changed mine at 20k. They visually looked good/clean, with just very slight wear. Could have gone longer for sure, but they're so inexpensive.

Couldn't tell a difference performance, smoothness, or gas-mileage wise with the new plugs. :shrug:

Changing them next when I have a major service done at 43k in the Fall.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yes, change them. I did mine at 25K ish, and as a lot of folks said and will say, they looked fine, EXEPT, spark plugs work best with nice defined corners and edges. The diode and electrode were both rounded. They were in spec and no real damage to the untrained eye, but really they should have been changed sooner. They are cheap and easy to take care of. Oil change isn't much easier.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
I have an 03 which was bought new in 04. It has 32000 plus miles on it. Should the spark plugs need replacing? They have never been replaced. It was triked at 30000.

yes...

Put some Iridium NGK's in there.

later..Randy

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yes, change them. I did mine at 25K ish, and as a lot of folks said and will say, they looked fine, EXEPT, spark plugs work best with nice defined corners and edges. The diode and electrode were both rounded. They were in spec and no real damage to the untrained eye, but really they should have been changed sooner. They are cheap and easy to take care of. Oil change isn't much easier.

Best Wishes
:agree:Same here on my '03.
A local Winger says he has almost 147K miles on his '02 OEM plugs. To each his own but for me around $15 and you doing it yourself which does not take long.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was talking to others with trikes, we were talking about gas mileage. They said they were getting around 40 mpg, I been getting 32mpg at best. The wing got 40-42mpg when it was a 2 wheeler. The valves were last adjusted at 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The diode and electrode were both rounded. They were in spec and no real damage to the untrained eye, but really they should have been changed sooner. They are cheap and easy to take care of. Oil change isn't much easier.

Best Wishes
Spark plugs don't have a diode???

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Anode? Cathode? Both inner and outer electrode?

I change mine at 16K with regular OEM. I now have nearly 60K and have not changed them since 16K. Bike runs smooth as glass.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine runs find, I was just wondering if it would make a difference.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine runs find, I was just wondering if it would make a difference.
spark plugs changing is preventative maintenance, but change them and use ngk iridium they are the best!!

the wing will get around 40 as a 2 wheeler dont know how it can get better or the same as a 3 wheeler, hauling the extra weight, unless the top end is made much lower but gearing, but get those out of specvalves checked, they get tighter with wear and they will burn if they get to far

·
Registered
693 Posts
plugs

My bike was getting 42 mpg and dropped to 32 so I changed the plugs and now I am at 38 mpg around town. Only had 11,400 miles but had been sitting up for a few years. Had 6200 when I bought it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was talking to others with trikes, we were talking about gas mileage. They said they were getting around 40 mpg, I been getting 32mpg at best. The wing got 40-42mpg when it was a 2 wheeler. The valves were last adjusted at 1000 miles.
They were pulling your leg.32 mile a gal is normal for a trike.:nojoke:

·
Registered
884 Posts
I changed the plugs when I did the valve check since I remove them to make the engine easier to turn over.
The new plugs didn't make any difference in starting or mileage. I'm now due for the second valve check so I guess I'll order some plugs.

Ralph Wenzl

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Napa has Stock plugs at 2.32 each much cheaper then Honda also Honda says change at 16K, they will probably last Much longer but I do 16K it's a cheap maint. item like oil

·
Registered
5,005 Posts

Here ya go..

later..Randy

This looks far too complicated for the German engineers at Bosch!

( I changed mine to Bosch and others said it would not run good with Bosch. (another thread.))

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is the part number for the Iridium NGK that fit the wing?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts