GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there used spark plugs other than the NGK-BKR6E11 OEM plug for the GL1800?
I seen some "post in the past", that owners have switched to the Platinum plugs. Specifically the Autolight APP3923 double platinum or the Bosch Platinum +4 plug # 4419???? I think.....

Any advantage switching plug brands?

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I've got a set of Autolite Platinum AP3923's waiting to be installed in the bike sometime soon. They were $3.96 for 2 at Wal-Mart.

If someone has experienced problems with these, I'd like to hear it....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I switched to Bosch Super #7557 at the 16,000 mile checkup and am perfectly happy with them. Auto Zone sells them for under $1 each.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Any advantage switching plug brands?
I don't know what the advantage would be. The OEM NGK's still look good at 30,000 miles. They are available at Auto Parts stores for about $1.69 each.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 40000 miles on my 02 and I have a 04 with 2000 miles and the 02 has never had plugs or the valves done and it runs side by side with the 04. Ron

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but I have heard that over time spark plugs may build up a resistance due to breakdown of the parts and not be as effective. Not sure if this is just spark plug manufacturerers baloney to if its true. At the price of plugs, though, I just change them every 16,000 whether they need it or not. Piece of cake to do (one of the few things I CAN do on the bike).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts