GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda recommends different plugs for different riding temps or extended high speed riding. My question is this, does anyone know how the 3 differents plugs work? I mean does the extended high speed plug fire hotter? How do they optimize a plug for cold weather riding? Any insight would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Griz6 said:
... does the extended high speed plug fire hotter? How do they optimize a plug for cold weather riding? Any insight would be appreciated. thanks
A colder plug would be recommended for extended high speed riding, which helps protect the center electrode from excessive wear. A hotter plug would be recommended for normal riding in very cold tempertures, for example, which would help keep the plug from possibly fouling (fouled plugs might have a wet, black sooty look).

However, when you go to change the plugs and they look OK (light brown in color on the center electrode porcelain), just use the standard plugs and don't worry about it at all. I doubt if anyone on this board has ever found a need to go to either a hotter or colder plug with the GoldWing.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would just stick with the standard plugs and see how they look when it is time to replace them.

Most likely, you won't need those other plugs.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Griz6 said:
Honda recommends different plugs for different riding temps or extended high speed riding. My question is this, does anyone know how the 3 differents plugs work? I mean does the extended high speed plug fire hotter? How do they optimize a plug for cold weather riding? Any insight would be appreciated. thanks
The center electrode is longer on a hot plug, shorter on a cold plug. That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
The center electrode is longer on a hot plug, shorter on a cold plug. That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it.
Close! It is actually the size of the insulator that changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts