GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need info on the iridium spark plugs, are they worth the money, do they help preformance and gas mileage?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I put them in mine and have not noticied anything different. Sorry, no improvement in gas milage.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
they make a difference on some bikes, like the vtx 1800, but make no difference on the wing

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Yes, there is a difference. For the added forty bucks, you get to brag about your plugs, and how everyone else should have them.

I have them, and they did not hurt the performance one little bit. If I had spent it at the DQ, my arteries would be plugged. Sure glad I got them.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Forget about them!

You need to get the Uber Plugs with the unobtanium electrodes.

Reasonably priced at $150 each and they last forever. Just think; no more spark plug changes, cleaning or inspections.

They are available anywhere but you have to grease the palm of the counter person before they will pull them out.

Don't forget to get series GL1800DF.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Okay, let's get serious.

Factory spec'd plugs for $1.69 each ($10.14/set):
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =955874604
You replace them how often? 16K or 32K miles? I really don't remember.

The real Uber plugs for $20.95 each ($125.70/set):
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =955874604
You replace them how often? Maybe never, but don't you have to pull them for inspection?

So that works out to more than 12 times as much as the factory plugs. (That's more than 12 times as much as the factory SPECIFIED plugs.)

It's your call.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Funny you should ask. I just pulled out one of my Iridium plugs yesterday to look at how it is burning. They have a little over 40k miles on them. They were still in perfect shape and still in the same gap setting. If I would have put in regular plugs I would be replacing them every 15k miles. For me thats 4 sets almost. So they have paid for themselves already in my opinion.

·
Registered
19,317 Posts
Get the stock NGKs, change every 16K like the manual says, takes 20 minutes to change.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pulled my plugs at 18K They showed no signs of wear , gap did not change, and all had the same slightly gray color.
I see no reason to spend any more than 1.69, just extend replacement to 24K or 32K.
It is a good idea to change them, lube threads with antisieze.
If you leave them in for 100K just will have trouble getting them out, I did that once on my 1500 and they will corrode
in the heads, making them VERY difficult to remove.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I changed mine at 38k with little signs of wear. I put the stock NGKs back in with no complaints.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Toyo said:
Funny you should ask. I just pulled out one of my Iridium plugs yesterday to look at how it is burning. They have a little over 40k miles on them. They were still in perfect shape and still in the same gap setting. If I would have put in regular plugs I would be replacing them every 15k miles. For me thats 4 sets almost. So they have paid for themselves already in my opinion.
My '03 still has the OEM plugs at 42,000 miles. Bike still cranks and runs well and still gets the same gas mileage. When I get around to replacing the plugs I'll go back with NGK. :wink:

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
i change plugs and air filter once a year or about 40,000 smiles and keep records of every tank, never was able to notice any significant change in MPG or performance

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I wont be changing my Iridium plugs at 40K. They will go till 100K more than likely. How many stock plugs will you have had to replace per the manual by then? I still think I will come out ahead. Especially when you consider what your times worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts