GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While disconnecting the wires to the front tweaters in my dash, my hand pushed (dented) the small center cone on one of the front speakers. I removed the speaker to get to the back of it to see if I had access to push out the dent but there was no access. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. You can see the dented cone through the speaker grill. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can apply some source of controlled vacuum to the center cap to remove the dent. You could take a vacuum cleaner with a reducer nozzle to pull it out, (I've done it before, but you do need to be careful). I changed out all my factory speakers to Alpines in the front and Sony
Xplods in the back, (thanks to Rattlebars for installation pics and procedure). The factory speakers don't give much in the way of clarity or power. My system sounds so good now many days I just use my external speakers instead of the headsets, (unless I'm riding at highway speeds and then I use earplugs and headsets).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Same thing happened to mine. The vaccuum trick didn't work, so I put a tiny dot of krazy glue on my finger tip and glued my finger to the center of the depression. Waited for the glue to take hold, and then pulled out the dent. Once pulled out, I twisted my finger until the glue let go (or probably a tiny piece of skin). Warning: Use this method as a last resort and use a very tiny drop of glue or your speaker and/or finger will be damaged.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Been there, done that.

A small straight pin bent to an "L" shape and then gently poked through the cone. Once through, use the bent part to pull the dimple out. Remove the pin and 'voila, no more dent.

The hole won't hurt a thing or be noticeable. These aren't sealed enclosures so air leakage isn't an issue.

The Super Glue idea works too but will leave a blemish on the cone

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
gcgst1 said:
Same thing happened to mine. The vaccuum trick didn't work, so I put a tiny dot of krazy glue on my finger tip and glued my finger to the center of the depression. Waited for the glue to take hold, and then pulled out the dent. Once pulled out, I twisted my finger until the glue let go (or probably a tiny piece of skin). Warning: Use this method as a last resort and use a very tiny drop of glue or your speaker and/or finger will be damaged.
I saw something similar on a medical show. The doctor used a small wooden dowel and super glue to remove an object from a childs ear. He cut the end of the dowel flat, placed a drop of super glue on the end, placed the end of the dowel into the childs ear and pressed it against the object. Waited for the glue to stick then pulled the object out. It was either a rock or ball bearing. I don't remember which. This method should work for the speaker dome if you cut the point off the end of a round toothpick.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses! They are all good ones. I'll give them a try!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts