GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share some pics of my latest addition, and to mention a sincere thanks to Rodney at Owl Lighting (Knight Rider Lights, etc.) out of Texas.

It's a neat little device. Can't see it when the bikes not running, but can be seen very well in sunshine or in the dark.

With the help of Rodney at Owl Lighting, Fred's videos, and Steve Saunders site, I was able to get the job done in a matter of hours!

Thanks again Rodney, great customer service!

Mike

·
Registered
602 Posts
Where did you buy this kit, how much and how hard to install? Do you have a link to his site?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Here is the link... http://www.owllighting.com/

They are a great bunch of guys... I think it must be new because it hasn't made it to the webpage yet. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Don't know if it's the same one, but Wing Stuff also sells it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it at Wingstuff. 90 bucks (after discount).

It wasn't too bad for the install. Since I have the ABS, the airbox, and gas tank had to be removed. Took this opportunity to replace the air filter at the same time. I now know what it looks like under all that tupperware!

The non-abs is a bit easier, as you can access the bundle of wires to plug in the controller from the front (the ABS bikes have a hydraulic pump in the way, that is why I had to access it from the top).

All-in-all, it really wasn't that difficult. I used Fred's videos to give me an idea what I was looking for, a few cups of coffee, positive attitude, and I got 'er done!

Mike

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Just wondering what the discount is and how do you get it as their site states $104.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I was all excited about getting one until I read this

WARNING
If your GL1800 has ABS (Anti-Lock Brakes) on
it, the installation of this Gear Position Indicator
will be considerably more difficult than the Non
ABS version.
You will most likely need a service manual from
Honda for your bike.
This installation requires the removal of the air
cleaner box for access to the plug you need to
connect with. This installation will require 2-4
hours depending on your individual mechanical
skills and your experience level with your bike.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jwen,

I had purchased items from them before, and over the holidays they offered a trial VIP membership which included sale items not offered to the general public, along with an additional savings, which I took advantage of, I also got a good deal on the Bushtec V2 Deluxe trailer hitch.

Jan,

Yeah, that was something that made me think twice, but I have the tools (common metric), a garage, and the time to do it.

It wasn't that big of a deal. It took about 4-5 hours (including a lunch break) to do it.

I am assuming you have the ABS on your bike. If it is non-ABS, you can access the bundle of wires through the front of the bike, a LOT LESS invasive.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Bbatman said:
It's a neat little device. Can't see it when the bikes not running, but can be seen very well in sunshine or in the dark.
OK Mike, maybe this is a stupid question but... Why would you need to see it when the bike is not running? :?

Inquiring minds want to know :a13:

BAT

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Barry, The point being that there isn't this "thing" jutting out of the speaker grill. :a13: BACK ATCHA!! LOL!

GL03, It indicates neutral by a dot in the lower portion of th display.

Mike

·
Registered
826 Posts
Nice job, Mike. Are those Sony Xplod speakers in there? Which model? I got a set of Alpines 130A's and can't get them to fit. Couldn't find the 1329's so, I am putting them in the rear. Need something for the front.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Terpen,

Yup, Sony Xplod 3-ways. Got 'em all around, front and rear, with a 400 watt Alpine amp, and a 150 watt powered subwoofer. Sounds great!

Mike

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Black02wing,

The Sony Xplods are the 3-ways, model # XS-1330A.

When I received the gear indicator, the numeric display was in the upper right portion of the grill. Because the speakers have a mid-range/tweeter in the center of it, I had to move the numeric display module to the lower left (as in the pictures). I just used the dremel tool on the speaker grill, to mimic the way that Owl had it installed originally, and superglued it in. I had to cut away a bit of the dash meter panel (behind the speaker grill) to accomodate the new location. If you need pictures, let me know.

Mike

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
I was all excited about getting one until I read this...
Here's what you have to get to...

Just in front of that black rubber boot is the ABS proportioning valves that prevents access from the inner cowl.

I hope that AirRider doesn't hear that someone's selling a gear indicator that connects to the transmission switch. US Patent # 6462651

This is why I decided not to market my version that I had made for myself.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Sorry, guys, don't understand the need :?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
trialsman said:
Sorry, guys, don't understand the need :?
uuummm... wellllll

I don't think it is good english to use the word "need" in the same conversation as the word "goldwing".
:lol:

Dennis

1 - 20 of 28 Posts