GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03' GW purchased 06' with front/rear speakers and a EC amp already installed with the amp being in the CD compartment in the trunk.
My speakers started cutting in and out,so I started checking connections all of the speaker connections were good and tight.I started looking at wires around the hinges where I found one of my purple speaker wires had a wear spot going to the right rear speaker,I also found that the amp has been laying on the excess speaker wires with lots of indentations in the wires where the amp has been laying on them?

Here's my two questions

Why do I have two sets of wires going to each speaker?
I have the EC amp so I have the purple wires which I believe came with the amp? I also have a pair of wires that look to be factory wires going to each speaker.All of the search and research I have done with the GL1800 search engine I haven't found where anyone else has two sets of wires to each speaker even with the EC amp installed??

My last question
Since I have taken the speaker wires loose to repair the bare wire,specifically the right rear speaker wire.I can't get all the tree wires tucked back in behind the hinge enough to allow my trunk lid to close evenly? The three wires I am having problems with are the two speaker wires running to the right rear speaker along with the wire harness going to the trunk for the spoiler and 12V outlet.
Has any one else ran into this problem?
When I shut the trunk lid the left side is closing tight while the right side of the lid to the trunk has over a quarter inch gap(never had this issue before),I have checked my hinges for cracked broken hinges or loose and missing hinge screws everything looks good and tight with the hinges.I am sure my trunk lid problem is with the wire harnesses,just not sure why I have two sets of speaker wires to each speaker??

These wires and hinges are about to make me pull my hair out lol :p

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
The reason for the two sets to each speaker is most likely the new feed from the amplifier and the original feed from the bike radio hence two cables to each most likely one set it not connected inside the speaker housing so could be pulled out

You could most likely pull the feeds out and leave them under the seat

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pedro66
Thanks for the reply...I'll have to take another look behind the speakers to see again exactly which wires are being used?? I thought the factory wires were also used?I know the speakers just have two connections but for some reason I thought the two cables were wired together at the speakers?
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am still working with my speaker wire hinge issue
Here's what I found this morning as to why so many speaker wires with the amp,it appears behind the speaker is where the wire junctions are being made up.
That's the reason for the factory looking wire cable with 2 wires coming from the receiver and the purple cable with 4 wires from the amp located in the CD compartment in the trunk,with 2 sets of speaker cables plus the factory trunk harness all trying to go around the right trunk hinge.I have decided to make the rear speaker junctions under the seat instead of inside the rear speaker pods,which will eliminate one of the wires going around the trunk hinges.
This issue solved.

I am still having a gap issue on my trunk lid.
I tried everything to see what was holding up the right trunk hinge giving me a larger gap on the right side compared to the left side of the trunk to trunk lid fit.
First I took the rear speaker pod off no help with the gap at the trunk?,I then took both the saddle and pillion back rest off for a better view of the hinge,I then took both sets of speaker wires and the factory trunk wire harness out of the hinge area and I still have a slightly larger gap on the right side trunk compared to the left side??
My right trunk hinge has a couple clicks as the lid's being opened and closed,wondering if the pins in the hinges are wearing causing the extra gap on the right side??
Has anyone else ran into the gap difference on a GW trunk,what did you do to fix it??
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts