GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting comments from the Tampa Police Dept (TPD) regarding a fatal M/C accident September 18th.

A 24 YO male was riding a '96 Suzuki when a woman pulled out in front of him. She stated she was "looking at her cell phone and didn't see" the rider.

The rider was not wearing a helmet and died at the scene.

The woman was issued a "failure to yield" citation and nothing else. TPD spokesperson Andrea Davis said "The reason is, if both vehicles had been cars, it would have just been a fender bender. However, since (the rider) was on a motorcycle and not wearing a helmet, it turned into a fatality." Davis noted, however, that the woman could face additional civil liability as a result of the crash.

So what is this? Darwinism in action? Police mollycoddling a rich Tampa Palms resident? A little of both?

Is the woman guilty of manslaughter if the rider did nothing to protect himself?

I don't know; just throwing it out.....

Stay safe,

Lance

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Makes you wonder what they would have done if it was a 10 year old on a bicycle.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If you shoot someone with a gun, you'll be charged with 'illegal discharge of a firearm', as the dead person on the ground wasn't wearing a bullett proof vest. :roll:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Typical reaction when it involves a motorcyclist. Until enforcement administration and prosecutors start taking some of those issues seriously, you wont see a change. It seems like agencys that have motor officers on the street are much more serious about collisions involving motorcyclists. Just my .02, I don't know if the involved agency runs motors or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts