GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mouse (apparently) playing with the insulation on the sidecovers. Bikes parked in the garage with a cover on it. In the past some have said they use mothballs to keep the critters away. Does this work, and where do you buy the mothballs. Am also looking at some d-con to use with it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
John, get the D-con quick. He is now out looking for a girlfriend and will set up housekeeping in your scoot. You know what boys and girls do when they set up housekeeping. If he does not have D-con to eat, your wiring will be very tasty.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
We have our 30 ft travel trailer parked out in a vacant field every winter, we put mothballs in it... It keeps them away.

·
Registered
601 Posts
GL Gene said:
Try some dryer sheet also. Seem to have worked for me. I just stuff a few in the openings. Remember to remove before riding.
To my wife: Try Not leaving dryer sheets in the sleeves of my shirts for me to find when I get to work.... :lol:

Make sure the D-Con is the one that dehydrates them, they will leave the area in search for water, and if they die before they get out, they wont stink.
We had a bad problem with rats and mice in the shop here, started putting out poison, the dehydrating type, and killed a lot of them without having to smell them.
Someone got careless and bought the cheap stuff which killed one inside the bathroom wall.. talk about Stink ... that was 6+ weeks ago and the smell is still lingering there, we may have to tear out that wall and replace it to get rid of the smell completely....
Make sure the poison is away from pets, if they ingest a mouse that has eaten the poison, they may get sick as it takes a lot less of it to kill a mouse than it would to kill a dog (dependent upon size), but if a pet gets one of the blocks and eats it, it will surely kill them.

Ride / Kill Mice Safely ... 8)

·
15 year Member
6,997 Posts
jburd said:
I have a mouse (apparently) playing with the insulation on the sidecovers. Bikes parked in the garage with a cover on it. In the past some have said they use mothballs to keep the critters away. Does this work, and where do you buy the mothballs. Am also looking at some d-con to use with it.

Thanks
Moth balls do work, its just a pain gettin between their legs to get um!!!

I would go with the D-con.. that stuff is magic, or the "ol tried and true spring trap w/ peanut butter, they can't resist that!!

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the advice from all. Picked up mothballs (Ace Hardware), d-con, and some sticky boards (walmart), and stole some dryer sheets from the laundry room.
Thanks for all the help.....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
A good bait for Spring Traps is 1" pieces of Slim Jim's. The rats can't resist the stuff. Peanut Butter works too but it tends to evaporate and sometimes the Rats/Mice will lick it off. Happy Hunting. 8)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
What's wrong with a good ole fashioned mouse trap with some peanut butter on it for bait. Gets em everytime! 8)

get them good little black plastic traps where they havae to stick their nose in to get the bait.......deadly.

:p

G

·
steve s said:
What's wrong with a good ole fashioned mouse trap with some peanut butter on it for bait. Gets em everytime! 8)

get them good little black plastic traps where they havae to stick their nose in to get the bait.......deadly.

:p
Best advice yet.
This way you can keep track on how many there are as you disguard them one by one.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
C'mon you guys....everybody knows a moth ain't got no balls :roll:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a battery charged trap the zaps them quick. I bought it at Lowe's, but have seen them in some other store too.

I originally got it for the garage since I didn't want the kids getting into any poison or snap traps accidentally. I have also used it in my shed with good results. Open the shed door one day and saw a mouse next to the mower. It got under some stuff before I could step on it, so I went and got the trap from the garage. Of course when I opened the door to the shed to put in the trap there was the mouse looking at me again, and yet again he got away before I could smash him. I put the trap just inside the door and closed it, and started to go back up to the house. As I was walking back to the house I remembered the weed killer in the shed I originally went to get and went back for it. The mouse was already dead in the trap in less than one minute after putting it in the shed.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
greyrider said:
:) Rodent control - 12 guage shotgun with deer slugs. You wax one of the little devils - the rest get the hint and head for the hills. Only gotta smoke one of them now and again to prove youre serious!!!!! :lol:

Hey, don't laugh!! I had a friend when I was in high school that use to go out to the local dump (that was waaaaay before "sanitary landfills" or those places where you dump trash into a trailer) and shoot mice and rats with his 12 ga. shotgun. Sometimes he got several with a single shot. No $h*&.

·
Registered
21,331 Posts
try this

take a 5 gallon bucket

pour in a little canola oil, and smear a little along the top rim

lean a board up against the outside of bucket for the mice to climb

catches mice like crazy !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts