Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I wonder what caused all this

chrome calipher support

Left side

right side

the big picture

I found all this when I changed out the brake pads. I repaired all these cracks with Loctite Marine grade epoxy and SOS Mettalized Epoxy putty. Sorry I didn't take pictures of the repair. But it seems to have worked.

I'll try and post pictures of the repair next week sometime

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Mine cracked just like that! Replaced under warrenty. My service center is takin my wing to investigate. I will post their results when resolved.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
About 3 or 4 weeks ago I had a new front tire installed. Now I have front caliper covers cracked and I suspect fender underneath. I haven't had a chance to take it in yet(tomorrow) and I suspect that the bolts were over tightened.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That is exactly how mine cracked.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I am replacing my rear front fender with a new fender (along with a few other new pieces in that area) today after 4 + years of riding and 118,000 miles. I think I'm going to reinforce those areas with some plastic epoxy on the inside so there is a little more strength to that area and hopefully it will hold up a little better against what I assume is some severe impacts that caused the breaks.

If you get any kind of informative feedback on any direct causes or work that needs to be done on your bike, please let us know.

DaleC

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try and post pictures next week of what I did to repair the cracks. It worked out pretty good.

I'm going to do the same thing some of you are going to do and reinforce the "weak" areas of the front fender *B* when (if) i get a new fender.

My problem is, I'll have to get a new Front fender extention from Bushtec :evil:

If you notice, my FFE is NOT bolted on. It's glued on with 3M body panal adheasive. which has worked out beautifully and is very clean looking

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Do you think the FFE may have contributed to the cracking? Just asking.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I reinforced the rear section of the front fender with aluminum straps using Chet's suggested mod before it cracked. Really stabilized the front fender. So far so good.

JJ

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KYBLUE said:
Do you think the FFE may have contributed to the cracking? Just asking.
NO, not really. I think it is a very poor design. The engineers just need to re-enforce the bolt-thru area's on the rear part of the front fender.

·
Registered
348 Posts
J-mac

Tell the truth. That crack started when you dumped the bike a few years back on the Americade Ride at 1 MPH at App Gap.

:) :)

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andrew deLivron said:
J-mac

Tell the truth. That crack started when you dumped the bike a few years back on the Americade Ride at 1 MPH at App Gap.

:) :)
and continued to crack the 3 more times the bike mysteriously feel over while I was sitting at traffic lights (generally up-hill and to the right) :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BLK04WNG said:
Cracked frames, Cracked front fenders, whats next ????
probably my head if i don't start bringing in more money, momma needs bling :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts