GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading the OTHER post about batteries and got to thinking about the water or acid in there.

How often do you folks check the fluid level in the battery, my boat battery use to take DISTILLED WATER and I only checked those once a year, is that what I should put in the bike battery.

of course the boat batteries were deep cycle marine, I don't know how different those are from the bike battery

or do you folks use tap water ???? or does it matter???

·
Registered
990 Posts
I assume that you are talking about another bike other than the Wing.The wing has a sealed battery and needs no water to be added to. As far as other lead acid batteries for bikes are concerned, I believe it depends on the type of water that you have in the system. In some locals they have a very high mineral content, or "hard water" which is bad for the battery. In other area like NYC you can use tap water without too much trouble. To be on the safe side I would use distilled water which you can get at any auto parts store like Auto Zone,etc. :)

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the battery out of TBB* CB250 and started to think about checking the fluid~~~good thing I did, cause it was loooow, and I never paid any attention to the candy red battery, cause I only looked at it once :shock: to hook up a cell set harness.

Then I realized I had to check boat batteries and I started to worry I'd another BAD thing ( like that never happened before ) :D :D

*Throttle Boss Barb

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jazzy,

Have you been on the Capt. Morgan again? I dun toldt you about that. Battery is sealed and requires no maintenance other than keeping it charged.

Only thing that I hate about Wing batteries, is sometimes they don't let you know that they are sick. You are out somewhere having a good time, come back to the bike and she is deader than a Love Bug on the front of Reds bike.

I guess that is why I keep mine on a battery tender and change the battery about every 3 years. I don't need to get stranded somewhere. i get lost enough as it is according to Meesh.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just another senior moment :D :D :D :D

having a brand new bike, and not having to hook up anything besides the cell set, I never actually LOOKED at the battery :shock:

But TB's training bike has a 'normal' battery and thats what got me to thinking~~~~which is probably why I have a headache now, BWHAHAHAHAH

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Since the Wing has a sealed battery it doesn't require any service other than charging in the off season and checking the terminals for corrosion. I love those maintenance free batteries! :D

If you have another bike with a wet battery it is very important to use distilled water, motorcycle batteries plates are closer together than larger batteries, the minerals in tap water can cause mineral buildups which can cause the battery to fail.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Correct !

What the wingman said is right on ! All wet cell batteries should be serviced with distilled water. Speaking of the Wing battery, if I remember correctly the wing needs 10.4 volts to start. I would think putting the battery under a load and reading the voltage at the same time would be a good indicator of the battery strength ? Shouldn't be a hard thing to do, another person and a voltmeter. :?:

·
Registered
300 Posts
battery tester

i have seen battery testers for smaller batteries but not how accurate or how much they cost but they are out there if any one were inteseted..

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got volt meters coming out the yahoo,

Besides I put the wing on the old Battery Tender Plus I ain't to worried about the wing battery, but I brought the CB 250 battery in the house and filled it (as recommended ) with distilled water and put it on a small 3 amp trickle charger for 48 hours and then pulled it off the charger, I'll let it sit for a week or so and charge it again. I'll just keep checking the water level :wink:

thanx for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts