GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread currently going on here reminded me about the following SCAM.

The article is "several" years old now but the message still applies.

Just thought I would re-post it as a reminder....

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've heard about this kind of thing but......

Unless this guy is 16 years old, if you something priced "$7000.00 below market value" (quote from article), why would you send money. As soon as you saw this ad wouldn't you think 'something stinks'?

Sorry the guy lost his money but is anyone really surprised this was too good to be true and it was a scam?

·
Banned
792 Posts
I've heard about this kind of thing but......

Unless this guy is 16 years old, if you something priced "$7000.00 below market value" (quote from article), why would you send money. As soon as you saw this ad wouldn't you think 'something stinks'?

Sorry the guy lost his money but is anyone really surprised this was too good to be true and it was a scam?
I agree and no matter how old this article is this kind of stuff still goes on and a little common sense would save a lot of people some agony. Just like when someone offers to buy something you have listed for $2000 more than what you are asking and they will send the truck right away. Thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
907 Posts
NO JOKE: Less than two months ago, a friend phoned me (thank god) and asked me questions regarding a used 2009 Yamaha Vmax he'd spotted on-line in which the price was set at only $6500! :22yikes::22yikes::22yikes: The bike was going to be shipped back to the USA from Sweden. I nearly puked. When I could get my jaw back shut, and actually speak to him, my first response was "SERIOUSLY?" I could NOT BELIEVE this friend of many years, and who is over 45 years old, and college educated, would even bother to phone and ask a 2nd opinion on what was so blatantly a scam...............and it took two more phone calls with this friend, over a 2 week period, to completely convince him that this SCAM was in no way going to pan out for him to get a bargain bike. :eek:4:

·
Registered
874 Posts
There was a segment on 60 minutes a few months back about how someone that was very HIGHLY educated fell victim to one of those scams...she had basically every PHD/degree/Masters (etc) and should have known better. She lost almost every penny she had trying to get her "fortune."

Usually if it seems to good to be true ...
Also I knew a guy that lost 5K trying to get a Harley (why is beyond me :wrong:) and it was one of those scams. If no one fell for it then they wouldn't bother with them...

Ebay, however, has the buyer protection system that as long as you use paypal (yes they make $$$) and you get screwed they cover it. AND IT DOES WORK.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
When we were looking for a Goldwing in 07 & 08 there were several wings listed on Craigslist for $4000 & $5000 which were listed as new or near new. One was said to be in SE Idaho so I responded saying I would be over that way in a day or two, guess what, no response. They were relying on the sucker to be far enough away that they could just make promises. I think there were some listed in Ok, Tx and 2 or 3 there other locations.
Had a friend of mine all excited too, to bad we had to pay near market price for our 08 Wing, still love it..:nojoke:

·
Banned
792 Posts
someone that was very HIGHLY educated fell victim to one of those scams...she had basically every PHD/degree/Masters (etc) and should have known better.
Smart and street smart are two entirely different things.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
When i was purchasing my wing and looking at ebay, a wing came up with a great price. I played him along to the point where he said he will drive the wing up to the border from me. the problem was he claims he was living in California but the background of the bike showed lots of birch and poplar trees. Not conducive to California.
Second one was also dirt cheap and found it on ebay. nice pictures of the bike in Florida. Unfortunately the origional owner was selling on cycletrader. the other guy just copied the pictures and put the add on ebay. i sent an email to original owner advising what was happening and then reported the other guy to ebay.

i too came under critisism on this board as i asked too many questions and demanding photos and everything from a seller who thought i was a scammer. I was new to the board and buying in the US and importing into Canada and also having to travel half way across the continent to see the bike, i was just doing my due diligence and had a nightmare trying to clear up the mess on this board.

you are right buyer beware

1 - 9 of 9 Posts