GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WISH I had my camera ...

since I was a kid I've dreamed of doing endless wheelies ...
still not there yet

I'm coming back from town on hwy 40 and about half mile in front of me a heavy set guy on a green crotch rocket blends with the traffic right in front of me.

For the next three or four minutes he occasionally glances over his left shoulder and looks back at me
... no wave, no smile, just a look.
We're both doing about 60
... there is a pickup truck in front of him.

I notice his rear tire looks a little soft
... he's wearing shorts and has some kind of tattoo on the back of each calf
... I thought he looked a bit large for the bike
... probably wishing he was riding a wing like mine.
HA :shock: :oops: :oops:

so I'm thinking this guy probably wants me to pass so he can crank on his rocket and blow me away
... boy was I ever wrong.

one more look over his left shoulder
... then, he stands up on the pegs graceful as an Olympic gymnast and lifts the front wheel on his bike and accelerates to about 75
... I accelerate too and keep him about 50 yards in front of me.

for the next 10 (TEN) miles he holds the wheelie
... every now and then he drifts over to the left side of the lane like he was going to pass the truck while doing the wheelie
... I'm sure he was able to
... but he did not.

at one of the few lights out on hwy 40 he gently lowers it down and turns left
... he never looked back anymore
... I turn right wondering what I had done to earn this special show today.

It was like an early Christmas present ...

I'm still sitting here in awe of what I had the privilege to see today.
There are some GREAT riders out there.

my hat is off to them ...

Dennis

·
Registered
162 Posts
wingwing said:
WISH I had my camera ...

since I was a kid I've dreamed of doing endless wheelies ...
still not there yet

I'm coming back from town on hwy 40 and about half mile in front of me a heavy set guy on a green crotch rocket blends with the traffic right in front of me.

For the next three or four minutes he occasionally glances over his left shoulder and looks back at me
... no wave, no smile, just a look.
We're both doing about 60
... there is a pickup truck in front of him.

I notice his rear tire looks a little soft
... he's wearing shorts and has some kind of tattoo on the back of each calf
... I thought he looked a bit large for the bike
... probably wishing he was riding a wing like mine.
HA :shock: :oops: :oops:

so I'm thinking this guy probably wants me to pass so he can crank on his rocket and blow me away
... boy was I ever wrong.

one more look over his left shoulder
... then, he stands up on the pegs graceful as an Olympic gymnast and lifts the front wheel on his bike and accelerates to about 75
... I accelerate too and keep him about 50 yards in front of me.

for the next 10 (TEN) miles he holds the wheelie
... every now and then he drifts over to the left side of the lane like he was going to pass the truck while doing the wheelie
... I'm sure he was able to
... but he did not.

at one of the few lights out on hwy 40 he gently lowers it down and turns left
... he never looked back anymore
... I turn right wondering what I had done to earn this special show today.

It was like an early Christmas present ...

I'm still sitting here in awe of what I had the privilege to see today.
There are some GREAT riders out there.

my hat is off to them ...

Dennis
No offence to you friend...But the guy sounds like a dumb ass to me. I am sure he made a real good impression on the truck in front of too.
Probly thinks all bikers are that stupid.

Wht Lightning

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
I also enjoy watching some of those guys. Some people were born old! They missed their teenage and early years. :roll:

If bikes would have had that power when I was young, I would have been just like them. I worked my tail off getting my CB750 with 10" over tubes on it in the air. We did have a set of RR tracks in town that let me get it up real easy though! I finally went down 2 teeth in the front and up 13 in the back. I had to sit on the tank to keep it down after that. LOL!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm with wingwing, some guys are just goooood!

White Lightnig, my Dad always thought I was an idiot for even owning a motorcycle, let alone riding one. And yes I rode on the wild side every so often, but now it scares me!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
White Lightnig said:
No offence to you friend...But the guy sounds like a dumb ass to me.
Jealous? If he was driving a powered unicycle, you would look down at him just as any cager looks at us?

I applaud the fellow for maintaining a wheelie and then drive responsibly otherwise. Skill & restraint; admirable combination.

Bet you he has superior skills than most of us at dealing with any ballistics the road may throw at him whether it be with one, two or four wheels at his disposal.

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
teepee said:
And yes I rode on the wild side every so often, but now it scares me!
Amazing isn't it? When we were young we had more between our legs than between our ears. As we get older it seems to slowly reverse. ROFL....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm sure he was fun to watch..

Riders like that usually started at a very young age
and are very comfortable with a motorcycle..

I used to wheelie home from Mcdonalds about a 1/2 mile
on a dirt bike.... this wing is a little harder lol

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Had a guy pass me at 530 in the morning on his back wheel, couldn't keep up with him in my van but he kept right on going on the back wheel. Dam, wish I was young again. Tim

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
White Lightnig said:
<snip>

No offence to you friend...But the guy sounds like a dumb ass to me. I am sure he made a real good impression on the truck in front of too.
Probly thinks all bikers are that stupid.

Wht Lightning
Reminds me of the joke about the old guy driving down the highway and whenever he was passed by someone he would yell "Damn crazy fool!" and when he came up behind someone going slower than him he would yell "Friggin slow poke, get your ass off the road!". It seems like whatever speed we travel, there are always those phrases going through your mind when you are overtaken or your progress is blocked by someone driving at a slower pace than you.

I figure that sooner or later, fate (the Darwin principle) will take care of the stupid and unskilled drivers on the highway. As such I am less likely to question the talent of those who pass me on the road and assume they are able to handle those higher speeds until I see them do something that indicates that they can't. I just give them an opportunity to be on their way, I go along mine, and I hope others give me the same consideration.

It sounds to me like "wingwing" was indeed fortunate to witness someone very skilled yet showing some restraint and common sense in not passing the truck while his front wheel is pointed skyward. Do I approve of his riding attire? Not really. But that is his choice and he has to live with the consequences if he goes down and leaves most of his skin on the pavement. I choose to keep my front wheel on the ground, for the most part. I always wear a helmet, even in states that don't require it by law. I always wear a jacket with some level of protection designed specifically for use on a motorcycle. I wear motorcycle specific boots unless I am commuting to and from work. Those are my choices. That was his choice. I refuse to say he was wrong and I am right, although that seems what "White Lightening" is all about. Judgemental, don't you think?

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
White Lightnig said:
No offence to you friend...
That's ok ... none taken.

He seemed totally in control the entire time.

It's just that when you wish you could do something all your life and then some guy you don't know pulls up in front of you and shows you how it's done ...
well, it was like a special present for me (a fellow biker).

had I not been on my bike, had I been in my car
... I doubt he would have put on the show.

different strokes for different folks ...

Dennis

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I applaud those of you that are open minded. Most often these types of posts result in all negative comments. Someone said it and I agree at some level some are just jealous.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
GL1800GSXR1000 said:
I applaud those of you that are open minded. Most often these types of posts result in all negative comments. Someone said it and I agree at some level some are just jealous.
H#!! I used to drive like that!! (back when a CBX was fast..AAAAAAHH the GOOD OLD days!!) and YES i am still JEALOUS.....BIG TIME!!...By the way my son has a CBR 929 he can ride wheelies like that ( I try on his bike TO D#^% old & slow (me) not the bike!! It is WAY better than I am) I am jealous of him TOO...chuck

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Higher speed wheelies are not that diffcult. If, and I say, IF you have some skills a little above the basics. Main skills needed: good throttle control and the understanding that a bike can be turned with the footpegs, not the handlebars. The air you are pushing through actually helps keep the bike up.

The hardest part is having the nerve to it. That's why you don't see us geezers doing them. We have a grasp on our mortality and bone fragility.

By the way, I'm not talkjing about doing sustained wheelies on Goldwings, but rather crotch-rocket-type bikes.

IMHO

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
trialsman said:
Main skills needed: good throttle control
... guess that eliminates my wing ...
(NOT that I'm planning wing wheelies, I'm just trying to get the throttle control more precise than it came from the dealer
... it was WAY too loose then
... about a 1/2 inch of "play").

I've tried adjusting the "play" in the throttle and all I can seem to manage is too much or too little.

Too tight and every little parking lot bump results in a throttle "blip"
... too loose and my attempts at "fine" throttle control while in the clutch friction zone at very low walking speeds seems erratic.

I have other smaller Honda's and I have been able to adjust them to my liking.

Probably just my lack of skill with the bigger bike.

Either I'm doing something wrong or there is just too much "slop" in the wing throttle system.

Dennis

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nothing wrong with riding wheelies, but not on public roads in traffic.
My guess is if the guy in the truck had to hit his brakes for one reason or the other the guy on the bike would be a bumper sticker about now.
Did the guy have skill? Yes. am I jealous? No.

Wht Lightning

1 - 16 of 16 Posts