GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speed Bleeders

Where did you find out about Speed Bleeders? I have not heard of these. Is there a website out there?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Speed Bleeders Not

Put them on my Concours front and rear per instructions. Went for ride. Found out coming into toll both at speed that I had NO front brakes. Managed to stop bike with rear only after blowing thru empty toll booth lane at 55 mph. Found out speed bleeder valve somehow had leaked and I lost all fluid in front system. Took them off and put in garbage. :roll:

·
Registered
9 Posts
speed bleeders

I've used them on the HARLEYS I've had and luved em. They work. Plan on installing them on my 1800 when its due for the first clutch & brake fluid change.
:s9:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Speed Bleeders are replacement bleeder screws that have a check valve in them. When loosened a half turn, they'll expel some fluid with each pump of the lever or pedal while not admitting any air when the brake is released. But due to the way your GL1800's brake system works, Speed Bleeders will not get the entire job done.

Some claim the screws failed and emptied their fluid while riding. But if they're screwed in tight, they close off the fluid passage with a solid metal taper... just like a normal bleed screw. It's my hunch that these "failures" resulted from forgetting to retighten the screw, not tightening it sufficiently, or over-tightening to the point that the device cracked. If you look at the picture on the website, the cutaway shows the vertical hole drilled almost to the bottom. Overtightening could definitely cause a problem.
http://www.speedbleeder.com/
Stu

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ken,
I need to retract my statement that the Speed Bleeders won't get the entire job done. They should, though you'll need seven of them for installation in all of the bleed ports. I don't remember whether all of the bleed screws are the same diameter and length, and you'll need direct replacements sizewise. Somebody help me out here.

As for using a vacuum pump, the one shown in the manual creates a strong, continuous vacuum and holds a large amount of waste fluid. A Mity Vac may work as well, though slower, and you'll need to empty it several times.

Have to love that testimonial from Al P on Directline's site. Another clown who thinks he's outsmarted the engineers LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
speed bleeders--Question for Stu

Stu, why wouldn't they work on an 1800 non abs system? Granted the 1800 is a wee bit more complex than a HD, but using a speed bleeder and my Mighty Vac what problems would there be?
Appreciate any input.
Grumpy :s9:
:sw1:

Also, I do agree with you on the tightning of the bleeders. Biggest mistake I,ve seen is overtightening and stripping the caliper threads out.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Hi Grumpy,
I retracted that opinion (above). But if you already own a Mity Vac, why would you need Speed Bleeders? Speed Bleeders are for using the old "pump & hold" routine without the need for an assistant. If you already have a vacuum pump w/ brake bleeding attachments, that's all you need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
speed bleeders-for Stu

Yeah, I saw your re-response after I'd posted mine. I agree, they arent really necessary with a Vac, but it just does away with worry about leaking past the bleeder. A combo of the check valve and vacume has worked for me.
Thanks
Grumpy :s9:
:sw1:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used them on my Mustang -very poor quality

I have used speed bleeders while changing my Mustang over to FWDB. I could never get a good bleed and blew two of them out while driving around town. Put stock bolts back in and all was well. Well never use those things again. :(

·
Registered
553 Posts
speed bleeders JUNK

:x they are overated..i had nothing but problems with them..reinstalled the oem bleeders and was better off..they are kinda like the tire pressure monitors,,i threw them away also..

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
Personally I think the Motion Pro bleeder is a better way to go. You don't have to replace all of your bleeder valves at great expense and hassle, and you only have to buy one of them. It also can be used on multiple vehicles.

And it only costs $19.50. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0143/

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Personally I think the Motion Pro bleeder is a better way to go. You don't have to replace all of your bleeder valves at great expense and hassle, and you only have to buy one of them. It also can be used on multiple vehicles.

And it only costs $19.50. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0143/

I am not impressed with Speedbleeders having tried them with a vacuum pump on car brakes. Found out that the easiest, tho not necessarily the fastest way to bleed car brakes is to gravity bleed them.

But if you have a Speedbleeder laying around and don't want to just throw it out, you can make your own MotionPro bleeder. Slip a tube over the threaded end of a speedbleeder and use it like a motionpro bleeder. You will have to grind a notch in the shoulder of the speed bleeder so the fluid can get to the hole.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I made one of these for my mity vac. Cost about $6. Container is from Walmart and the plastic barbs are from the hardware store installed by drilling with a step drill so when you screw them in so they are tight and seal good.

You can hook the hose to your bleeder and pump the vac until there's about 15 negative pressure (the sides of the box cave in). This makes it like a "pro" constant vacuum machine. You can bleed each hose to clean fluid without the need to pump the vac again on that hose. This will hold an ENTIRE wing's bad fluid, no need to stop and dump out that ridiculously tiny cup that comes with the mity vac.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just bled the brakes and clutch using the Motion Pro bleeding device. This device worked GREAT! Love it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts