GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On their site they seem to caution about breaking them during install.

Is this a real problem or just covering for the over torquers?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just recently put them in and was very leery of overtightening them from what I 've read on this site. If you take your time and tighten them just until they seat. Believe me, you'll know. You'll be fine. I installed them all at once because I already had air in my lines. Took about a half hour to install and about 45 minutes to flush and bleed. They worked great.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I replaced my clutch bleeder with a speed bleeder only because I had just one. It is in such a tight spot it was hard to get the mity vac adap on it anyway. Under there you gotta be real careful not to cross thread it. It is hard to see and could easily start to cross thread. bb

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
On their site they seem to caution about breaking them during install.

Is this a real problem or just covering for the over torquers?
You have to be really ham-fisted to break them. Some folks manage to break them anyway.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Since they cautioned, I was careful and had no problems.

Since many of us are used to torquing fasteners like nuts & bolts, we may tend to unconsciously be concerned that they're tight enough.
With Speed Bleeders you're only concerned that they're closed -- no need to crank on them!

Got 'em, love em!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I was thinking "How hard can it be? Tighten until it seats." They said so much about it I thought it was a common occurrence.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
From experience: BE CAREFUL!
I did snap one. It does not take much at all...

They DO NOT seat flush against the caliper, like the OEM.
Easy to mistake the point when they bottom out with thread lock resistance, making you think that you need to go further!

Other then that - they are great!

BTW. If it so happens and you break one - people at the company are great!
they will extract and put a new one for you for free if you send them the caliper. Just saying.... :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Who sells these? Thx

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking "How hard can it be? Tighten until it seats." They said so much about it I thought it was a common occurrence.
The hex part will be up higher than the stock ones but it is easy to tell when they are seated. Start them by hand to make sure they aren't cross threaded & snug them down with a 1/4" ratchet until they seat.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Do the stainless steel variety break just as easily?

:shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts