GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first time pulling a trailer in California, I know trucks and cars run at a reduced speed limit. What about motorcycles with trailers? I have a real bad feeling I'm not going to like the answer but I know this is the place to ask.

Thanks

Roger

·
Registered
410 Posts
When my wife and I were touring CA last year. I noticed there were two types of signs. One said "Autos and Trucks with trailers---55" The other sign said "All Vehicles with Trailers---55"

So of course I decided that if I was on the road that said "Autos and Trucks with Trailers-- 55" I was good to go 70 or what ever the regular limit was.

The rest of the time I was just speeding... :D

My opinion, which is probably wrong, is that beings there are two different signs, that it is ok on some roads to do the normal speed limit while pulling a trailer with a motorcycle.

John

·
Registered
757 Posts
RWAZ......I've asked several C.H.P. officers that question and all said,
"technically, yes it's 55 MPH, but if you use good judgment and keep with-in the flow of traffic, ( around 65 MPH ) you shouldn't have a problem.

I've pulled my Bushtec for about two years now and using these guidelines, I haven't been pulled over.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
What?/ 55mph

55 mph oh thats just crazy !!! :shock: How 1970's. Like Sammy Hagar sung : "I can't drive fifty five". I couldn't drive 55 mph, I certainly couldn't nor wouldn't ride it on a highway, yikes. :22yikes: NO WAY!! Terry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I thought, I have pulled trailers in Ca. before but with a motorcycle trailer I was hoping for a weight law being the trailers are so light. Well it was worth asking.

Where's the cloaking device when you need it. :lol:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
55 in CA, brother in law got a ticket pulling a trailer on his 1500 a few years back. He was doin 85 but the cop told him that trailer speed limit was for all vehicles. Tim

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not only is it 55, you have to stay in the right two lanes also. Most cops will not give you a ticket unless you're pushing 70.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
There was a question on here about this early this year or late last year. I called CHP and got shuffled from number to number. I finally ended up talking to a sgt in Sacramento in the Commercial Vehicle division of the CHP.

It seems that the state law/vehicle code states "all vehicles" but the signs referred to "cars with trailers".

To clear up the ambiguity, they are in the process of replacing all of the signs to state "all vehicles with trailers".

From my experience on the trip to the Bay Area last May (to pick up my trailer), while we take a chance with our lives on any of the roads in California or Nevada... doing 55 mph on a California freeway or highway is an almost guaranteed way to get run over.

I think that they only time they slow to 55 is in a traffic jam.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I live in Orange County, pull mine in the car pool lane and never been bothered. Ive had Chips pass me running in the pool and wave while Im doing 80. One thing is almost for certain, if your in So Ca running 55 on a freeway, and its not gridlock, your going to get your arse run over.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
man, I didn't know I live in such an illustrious state! :D

I would confirm the 55mph speed limit with a trailer, regardless of what is pulling it. I wasn't pulled over, but I did get a loudspeaker command to move to the right lanes when I was pulling a small camping tailer behind my car. A lot depends on the officer that sees you, and perhaps what he/she had for breakfast. Sometimes they'll ignore a violation completely, sometimes they'll pull you over for the slightest infraction. I'm sure that's the same everywhere. bottom line: You break the law - you take your chances! :?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Never had a problem going the posted speed limit and staying out of the passing lane, except to pass. Also stay out of the carpool lane.

It does make a difference as to what the officer wants to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts