GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions that I am sure some of you more experienced 1800 riders might be able to answer. First, in reading my owners manual in the section about fuses it talkes about and shows a "speed limiter fuse". What in the world is a speed limiter fuse? My other question is about the rear shocks. If the rear shock is not an air shock, what is going on to increase or decrease the load. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'm not sure on the speed limiter fuse maybe someone else can better answer that one.

The rear preload adjustment increases tension on the rear spring reducing its travel range and changing the range in which it works ( you may sense a somewhat stiffer ride). The increased spring preload changes the ride height too. Maybe someone can explain this more clearly. The adjustment is similiar to what is used on sport bikes with adjustable spring preload to compensate for heavier riders and adjust the amount of static sag.

G

·
Gerald said:
I have a couple of questions that I am sure some of you more experienced 1800 riders might be able to answer. First, in reading my owners manual in the section about fuses it talkes about and shows a "speed limiter fuse". What in the world is a speed limiter fuse? My other question is about the rear shocks. If the rear shock is not an air shock, what is going on to increase or decrease the load. Thanks for the help.
Hi Gerald:

You would get better response to your questions by posting on the Tech Board rather than the General Message Board. That being said, I think I may have an answer to one of your questions. The load adjuster changes the preload on the main rear spring and doesn't affect the shock absorber. As to the Speed Limiter Fuse. I suspect (this is just a SWAG answer) that it blows either if you over-rev the engine for a present period of time, (like you get drunk and try to ride home in 3rd gear at 80 mph) or if you excede a certain rate of speed, and who knows what that might be.

Post on the Tech Board. Somebody will have an answer for that one.

See ya

·
Registered
17,383 Posts
Red, I think the fuse (or fused link) in question is an actual speed limiter fuse that opens if you exceed "X" mph. It may be 140 mph. If it opens it does not totally diable the bike (if I reacall correctly), but makes it run really lousy). I recall having read that too, or maybe it was a dream? But have not reviewed my M.O.M> to reflesh that hazy recollection. I also beleive you are correct that there is some disengagement of the reverse motor is backing downa grade causes an overspeed or if caking up grade causes overstress --- then again taht might be a false recollection too -- DANG, I'm gonna have to read that booklet again!

Dang, anybody out thare with better recall or handy M.O.M.?

prs

·
Registered
407 Posts
The speed limiter fuse has nothing to do with maximum forward speed. It only affects reverse by protecting the starter motor if backing down a grade too fast. There is no "speed" limiting in forward gears other than "RPM" limiting, which works in all gears to protect the engine against overspeeding. This is REV limiting but is not done by a fuse. Rev limiters are normally set about 500 RPM above red line.

G

·
Speed Limiter Fuse

Hi Guys:

Bob and Red are correct. Curiosity got the best of me so I pulled out my service manual and ETM (electrical troubleshooting manual) and the speed limiter fuse protects the speed limiter relay which is part of the reverse system. It does a heavy duty job because it is a 70 amp fuse.

It was good question..it caused me to learn a little more about the mighty 1800.

Snow is melting up here in MI.. COME ON SPRING!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.