GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,761 Posts
Even that's a modest time for the '83 model...that was a 10 second bike...
Only in a light, highly skilled riders hands could that bike do high 10's..guys like Pee We Gleason did 10's on it, but not the average rider. My friend took that bike to the drags and did low 11 's which was very fast in the early 80's for a stock bike..that same friend went 9.7s on his stock Busa years later so he was a pretty good drag racer. I rode V65 quite a bit back in the early 80's. I loved the low in torque that motor made and the bike was very fast, but so were all the Superbikes of that era..but with the V65, it was another case of the engine over powering the chassis..the suspension was way below its engine and it was very easy to get going too fast on that bike and out of its safe zone.
The early 80's were a exciting time for motorcycles...the bikes were getting more powerful and faster and better every year...1984 was when the Japanese finally started to build bikes with a chassis that could match its engine...Kawasaki's 900 Ninja and Yamaha's FJ1100 were the game changers in the big bore class in 1984. I rode the 1984 Kawasaki 900 Ninja..I went 11.19 at the drags and it had a 155mph top speed....the bike loved corners and it would red line its engine in 6th gear and it was the first motorcycle I ever owned that wouldn't wobble at high speeds even with worn tires....it was truely ahead of it time and made all it peers except Yamaha's new FJ1100 seem like they were 10 years old, the other 2 of the big 4 caught up pretty quick after that though..it truely was a exciting time for big bore motorcyles back then.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hmmmmm... Guhl is only a 40 minute ride/drive from me - once this snow goes away, I'd be tempted to see if they do walk-ins 🤔

On the other hand, for a company that specializes in bike computers / reflashing technology, I'm more than a bit leary of the fact that their website has several technical issues (at least on my mobile device)

Still might be worth an inquiry....

TD
Don isn't too good at keeping his website up to snuff or answering the phone sometimes but his work is top notch...he did my 2012 and my 2018.

·
Premium Member
2020 Goldwing D C T
195 Posts
Great write-up Grampi. I enjoyed reading that thank you. I can't remember the quarter mile numbers for the 2018 and up I think they were in the 11:00. What I do remember is it was .75 off my Ducati xdiavel at o to 60.
Great to have someone with your knowledge on the Forum.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would never put down anyone that wanted to make changes like an ECM flash. Everyone should do what makes them happy. For me, one of the reasons I got my 2019 wing was to get out of the Harley world where I was basically obligated to do a stage 1, which included an after-ECM fuel management system or replacing the ECM and O2 sensors entirely with an aftermarket system like a Thundermax. Stock performance on my wing is night and day from my Ultra Classic, so I'm more than happy to leave well enough alone and spend my money on comfort upgrades like highway pegs, an aftermarket saddle, etc. Plus I'm old and chicken and don't need to get into triple-digit speeds :)

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Great write-up Grampi. I enjoyed reading that thank you. I can't remember the quarter mile numbers for the 2018 and up I think they were in the 11:00. What I do remember is it was .75 off my Ducati xdiavel at o to 60.
Great to have someone with your knowledge on the Forum.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I would never put down anyone that wanted to make changes like an ECM flash. Everyone should do what makes them happy. For me, one of the reasons I got my 2019 wing was to get out of the Harley world where I was basically obligated to do a stage 1, which included an after-ECM fuel management system or replacing the ECM and O2 sensors entirely with an aftermarket system like a Thundermax. Stock performance on my wing is night and day from my Ultra Classic, so I'm more than happy to leave well enough alone and spend my money on comfort upgrades like highway pegs, an aftermarket saddle, etc. Plus I'm old and chicken and don't need to get into triple-digit speeds :)
You be shocked how quick the limiter comes into play...I had a Thundermax and a couple TTS tuners along the way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also do you have something for the 2016f6b, I was told there is a piggyback system to get more power but I thought they didn’t really help a lot. My sons Kawasaki 2020 zx10 got 25 hp more on a different tune and 34hp on mr12 tune. Seems like they could get more with some advanced timing on 93 octane
I got similar gains on my 2016 ZX10R. Most of the gain on the ZX is due to Kawasaki not opening the secondary at higher revs. This is so it can pass US sound level testing. There’s also a flapper valve on the intake for noise reduction as well. Take all that stuff off and retune so it doesnt choke itself off and boom, big power gains.

I’m sure you could do things to get more power out of the Goldwing but to me that’s not it’s mission. I’d like to see someone try though!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I have reached 131 GPS after the flash and I had to scrub that run because of a Camaro pulling into my lane. It was still gaining, but very slowly.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm glad there is a ECU reflash available though I likely won't install it. I'm happy enough with the speeds I can get on my motorcycle as it is. Like Roadie, I once owned a 1984 Ninja 908. I bought it new in 1984. The boys at the shop almost wouldn't give it to me as mine was the first in the area, but I insisted. That motorcycle was an incredible machine and was very, very fast. I would pull the front end up almost before I knew it. I did ride that motorcycle at speeds exceeding the legal limit more often than not though I think I only ever hit about 135-140 mph tops and that got my attention. I really wish I would not have sold that bike, but I started a family and needed money. I am glad I got the speed bug out of my system early on as I enjoy a more sedate pace these days.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm glad there is a ECU reflash available though I likely won't install it. I'm happy enough with the speeds I can get on my motorcycle as it is. Like Roadie, I once owned a 1984 Ninja 908. I bought it new in 1984. The boys at the shop almost wouldn't give it to me as mine was the first in the area, but I insisted. That motorcycle was an incredible machine and was very, very fast. I would pull the front end up almost before I knew it. I did ride that motorcycle at speeds exceeding the legal limit more often than not though I think I only ever hit about 135-140 mph tops and that got my attention. I really wish I would not have sold that bike, but I started a family and needed money. I am glad I got the speed bug out of my system early on as I enjoy a more sedate pace these days.
Just an FYI....
There are several advantages to reflashing the ECU other than just removing the speed limiter.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just an FYI....
There are several advantages to reflashing the ECU other than just removing the speed limiter.
Brian, are the reflashes on the Goldwing reversible like they are on truck and auto tuners? I’m guessing if you have to send in the ECU then it’s a permanent deal and your warranty is gone. I’d consider a tune if there was a way to reset back to factory in the event of some catastrophic failure for warranty purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,761 Posts
Just an FYI....
I am going to have mine reflashed. I want it for the refinement in Sport Mode..and I want the modes to stay where I select after you restart the bike...removing the speed limit is nice but I doubt Ill ever try to see how fast this bike will go these days...I just don't have the need for high speeds any longer...quicker acceleration yea, but top speed, not so much.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts