GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
LOL!! Honda included this thing called a throttle that allows each of us to control the lower speed limiter on our GLs.

Absolutely true. However............that's why there are posted speed limits for the masses because most people WON'T ride/drive 'safely.' Right ?? Isn't that part of the reason there are limiters in the first place ? 'Cause there would yahoos everywhere ( even 'adults' ) racing/speeding all over the place. Right ?? Yeah.

You may counter with " I can go as fast as I want." I would agree wholeheartedly .................with one HUGE caveat. I don't care if said yahoo kills HIMSELF in the process. The reason for limiters/laws etc. in the first place is to protect OTHERS. Right ? Yeah.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hey now I care. Last fall I had a drag race with my good buddy on his K16 out on a very lonely Nevada Hwy. :oops: Not only did he beat me but when my Wing hit 114 it backed down to 110. How embarrassing was that. :mad:.

Excellent !!!!!!!!! I'm sure you both enjoyed it !! Honestly............sounds like fun. Here's the key to your post............."on a very lonely Nevada Hwy." No problem. You couldn't harm anyone else but yourselves. Two WILLING participants.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Absolutely true. However............that's why there are posted speed limits for the masses because most people WON'T ride/drive 'safely.' Right ?? Isn't that part of the reason there are limiters in the first place ? 'Cause there would yahoos everywhere ( even 'adults' ) racing/speeding all over the place. Right ?? Yeah.

You may counter with " I can go as fast as I want." I would agree wholeheartedly .................with one HUGE caveat. I don't care if said yahoo kills HIMSELF in the process. The reason for limiters/laws etc. in the first place is to protect OTHERS. Right ? Yeah.
I disagree with you. I believe limiters are in place because of government bureaucracy. Could it be that Americans are lousy drivers? I think that's part of it. Many states have "Keep right except to pass" laws. But those laws are rarely enforced and Americans are loathe to keep right. On 3 highways in Arizona just today, I passed more cars on the right than I did on the left. Florida recently decided to more aggressively enforce their "keep right" laws. I hope they make MILLIONS from it.

There are sections of Germany's Autobahn that does not have a speed limit. Alas, German bikes also have limiters. Why? Bureaucracy. And in my time in Germany, I came to believe German drivers are MUCH better than American drivers.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I disagree with you. I believe limiters are in place because of government bureaucracy. Could it be that Americans are lousy drivers? I think that's part of it. Many states have "Keep right except to pass" laws. But those laws are rarely enforced and Americans are loathe to keep right. On 3 highways in Arizona just today, I passed more cars on the right than I did on the left. Florida recently decided to more aggressively enforce their "keep right" laws. I hope they make MILLIONS from it.

There are sections of Germany's Autobahn that does not have a speed limit. Alas, German bikes also have limiters. Why? Bureaucracy. And in my time in Germany, I came to believe German drivers are MUCH better than American drivers.
Respectfully, your logic is flawed. If government bureacracy was the reason for placing governors on vehicles, then all new vehicles for sale in the United States would have limiters. That is not the case. There are numerous new vehicles for sale that are not artificially speed limited: the new C8 Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Shelby Mustang GT500, and the various Mopars (Dodge Challenger SRT), let alone numerous exotica such as Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsches, to name a few.

As for motorcycles, Google 'Ducati Panigale top speed' and "estimated 180 mph" pops up.

All are for sale in North America.

Tim

·
Registered
963 Posts
Excellent !!!!!!!!! I'm sure you both enjoyed it !! Honestly............sounds like fun. Here's the key to your post............."on a very lonely Nevada Hwy." No problem. You couldn't harm anyone else but yourselves. Two WILLING participants.
Thanks and we did! Nevada's remote roads are a high speed dream. No traffic,smooth road and you can see the butt of a cow 2 miles out. When I had my FJR I would touch the mid 140's often but at close to red line I never held it there very long however 7 grand on the tach was 125 mph. Hold it there for 20 minutes with no traffic and you could really make time. 😁

These days I rarely touch 100 unless a pass with authority is needed.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,085 Posts
It's cultural - as the bike was designed in Japan, for sale inside the Japanese market (as well as export), Honda's just playing it safe and sticking to the "gentlemen's agreement" of 180 kph limits:

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Respectfully, your logic is flawed. If government bureacracy was the reason for placing governors on vehicles, then all new vehicles for sale in the United States would have limiters. That is not the case. There are numerous new vehicles for sale that are not artificially speed limited: the new C8 Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Shelby Mustang GT500, and the various Mopars (Dodge Challenger SRT), let alone numerous exotica such as Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsches, to name a few.

As for motorcycles, Google 'Ducati Panigale top speed' and "estimated 180 mph" pops up.

All are for sale in North America.

Tim
IIRC, the Japanese government forced mc manufacturers to put limiters on their bikes. And, I believe the EU requires limiters on Euro bikes. Why the Italians haven't done it, IDK. I'll do some research on that if I think of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting thread. I have owned 4 BMW K1600's and the first two were extremely quick! The last two not so much especially my 2018. Lots of K1600 owners are getting their computers re-flashed but the cost is high in my book. Couple this with the fact you may lose that re-flash in the event of a dealer hook-up to the Mothership and it is a non-starter in my book. In that event the computer re-flash people will re-re-flash your computer but at a lessor cost. So all in all all this re-flashing is a waste of time to me. Ride the bike for what it is and if you don't like it buy something else. Let's face it there are many riders out in the world who shouldn't be on a motorcycle that can go over 40 MPH let alone 140 MPH. At my advanced years I have come to appreciate the ride more than the speed. Speed kills and always has. I always remember a fellow BMW rider who complained to the service advisor at the dealership that his Beemer wobbled at 140 MPH. The service advisor looked at him and said, "Do you REALLY think we are going to test ride your bike at 140 MPH?"

Rick H.

·
Premium Member
2020 Goldwing D C T
195 Posts
Great post thank you. The BMW reflash I'm assuming, is going to adjust the fuel mapping. Not so on the Honda

·
Registered
853 Posts
IIRC, the Japanese government forced mc manufacturers to put limiters on their bikes. And, I believe the EU requires limiters on Euro bikes. Why the Italians haven't done it, IDK. I'll do some research on that if I think of it.
You mean the legendary hypersport bikes like Ducati Panigales, BMW S1000RRs, Suzuki Hayabusas, Kawaski Ninjas have speed limiters?? I've never heard that. Then what's the point?

How will small penis riders ever be able to publicly display their obvious and considerable masculinity ever again? (Asks the former, loud-piped Ducati and Moto Guzzi Lemans owner.) :)

Tim

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
You mean the legendary hypersport bikes like Ducati Panigales, BMW S1000RRs, Suzuki Hayabusas, Kawaski Ninjas have speed limiters?? I've never heard that. Then what's the point?

How will small penis riders ever be able to publicly display their obvious and considerable masculinity ever again? (Asks the former, loud-piped Ducati and Moto Guzzi Lemans owner.) :)

Tim
IDK how some bikes are determined to NOT get limiters and others, like the GL and BMWs K16, are. Do you know? Is it engine size? Is it bike weight? Is it target audience? Is it throw a dart at a dartboard? Obviously it is not top speed.

·
Registered
853 Posts
IDK how some bikes are determined to NOT get limiters and others, like the GL and BMWs K16, are. Do you know? Is it engine size? Is it bike weight? Is it target audience? Is it throw a dart at a dartboard? Obviously it is not top speed.
My point originally was that bikes aren't speed limited bikes because of (government) bureaucracy - otherwise all motorcycles would be fitted with speed limiters, but that's obviously not the case with 180+/- mph capable bikes available for purchase in North America.

Manufacturers make their own decisions to speed limit their vehicles, for various reasons. Our '18+ Wings might be speed limited due to engineering limitations. I'm speculating, but how safe can any motorcycle be at high speed with a big, honkin' topcase bolted high up into the airstream? How'd you like to do a top speed run on a Hyabusa with a 52-litre Givi topcase stuck on the back? Not me. Remember the non-speed limited Honda ST1300s, widely used by UK police authorities with a top case? They were pulled out of service for a period because a motor officer died in a high speed crash that was attributed to aerodynamic instability - a tankslapper - caused by the topcase.

In the auto industry, the German manufacturers put speed limiters on their bread and butter (not the high performance cars), such as my '18 Audi A4. With its 252 hp turbo 4-cylinder engine, the German version is unrestricted and has a top speed of 155 mph.

For the North American market, the same A4 is speed limited to 124 mph (I believe.). Why? Because North America has no public highways that allow anywhere near 155 mph, but more importantly, Audi is of the opinion the vast majority of buyers will never ante up the money for the correct "Z" speed-rated tires for their grocery getter. Onmthe other hand, the folks who buy high performance versions will likely spend the money for the correct tires. So they're protecting themselves from liability issues.

Speed limiters aren't government- (bureacracy-) driven. They're engineering and legal issue-driven.

Tim

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Speed limiters aren't government- (bureacracy-) driven. They're engineering and legal issue-driven.
To paraphrase Harry Callahan, "Engineers and lawyers know our limitations."

·
Registered
206 Posts
Reading all the different opinions and comments in this thread has been very interesting. One thing that is becoming apparent is that those riders choosing to do the ECM flash are doing so mainly for performance gains other than removal of the speed limiter....smoothing out sport mode performance, remembering what mode I left the bike in, etc. The removal of the speed limiter is just an added bonus. This makes sense to me, because if speed was a major motivator I would question the choice of a big tourer like the Goldwing. Even more interesting to me is the discussion about why this bike and others have speed limiters in the first place. Eleven months ago I might have had a different opinion, but if there is anything this last year has taught me it's that there is a fairly large percentage of the population that will never take the effect of their actions on their fellow members of society into consideration when making a decision. For this reason and sad as it may be, I don't necessarily disagree with forced compliance mechanisms like a speed limiter. When I'm on I-95 doing 75 mph in my car and get passed by a crotch rocket doing mach 2 and lane splitting, I literally shake when I think of what could have happened if I had picked that moment to move left just a foot or two and the mess it would have made of my life and the lives of those right around me, not to mention the crotch rocket rider. It's simply not fair.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks and we did! Nevada's remote roads are a high speed dream. No traffic,smooth road and you can see the butt of a cow 2 miles out. When I had my FJR I would touch the mid 140's often but at close to red line I never held it there very long however 7 grand on the tach was 125 mph. Hold it there for 20 minutes with no traffic and you could really make time. 😁

These days I rarely touch 100 unless a pass with authority is needed.
I get it. I really do. I once went across the desert from California into Nevada on a particular 40 mile stretch that was as straight as an arrow on my 2000 Goldwing just holding the
throttle at 107 MPH. For whatever reason(s), THAT speed felt 'comfortable' given the circumstances. It was very warm, ( in the 90s ) bike was fully loaded, condition of the pavement, condition of the bike itself, etc.

The funniest part of that stretch was passing another guy on a motorcycle that was doing pretty much the same thing I was doing but at about 90 MPH though. Huge grins from both of
us as I passed him.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have not kept up with the 18 and newer, last I heard they had a 118 mph speed limiter. My 16 fb is speed limited to 125 and I think it sucks not that I do it very much but it sucks considering my 2001 and 2009 would do 130 +
Is your ego wanting to write checks that your bike & body can't cash? Maybe trade your "Wing" in for a Honda RC213V if you're serious about racing.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts