GL1800Riders Forums banner

Speed limiter

11K views 81 replies 32 participants last post by  FL_19 GL1800D 
#1 ·
Have not kept up with the 18 and newer, last I heard they had a 118 mph speed limiter. My 16 fb is speed limited to 125 and I think it sucks not that I do it very much but it sucks considering my 2001 and 2009 would do 130 +

#2 ·
Get the ECU reflashed if the speed limiter is your concern....

#5 ·
Get the ECU reflashed if the limiter is your concern....

Thanks , I’m 62 and don’t really need to haul butt that much but got my a—s handed to me by one of my friends that has a 126 cubic inch Harley . Torn between buying new gw and buying a second bike.

#7 ·
While The reflash doesn’t seem to be available for my year wing (20) I’m curious exactly what all you gain with the typical reflash? Also wondering if it’s customizable in any way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Hmmmmm... Guhl is only a 40 minute ride/drive from me - once this snow goes away, I'd be tempted to see if they do walk-ins 🤔

On the other hand, for a company that specializes in bike computers / reflashing technology, I'm more than a bit leary of the fact that their website has several technical issues (at least on my mobile device)

Still might be worth an inquiry....

TD

Attachments

#17 ·
On the other hand, for a company that specializes in bike computers / reflashing technology, I'm more than a bit leary of the fact that their website has several technical issues (at least on my mobile device)
Something tells me they work on motorcycles, not web pages.

#9 ·
Also do you have something for the 2016f6b, I was told there is a piggyback system to get more power but I thought they didn’t really help a lot. My sons Kawasaki 2020 zx10 got 25 hp more on a different tune and 34hp on mr12 tune. Seems like they could get more with some advanced timing on 93 octane

#34 ·
The only thing for yourF6B that's available would be the Booster Plug.
It richens your fuel just a little bit. I have one for sale brand new for half price if you want one. It'll make the motor pull a little better but nothing to get excited about. Just for a Gearhead like me that wants a little smoother motor, little more pull with my new exhaust. There are a few F6 B's that had a little problem with stumble off idle and at low RPM. If you have that issue you probably want one. I have a new one I'll be installing on my 2020 which takes a different model to go along with my new exhaust.

#22 ·
Guhl does have an ECM reflash for the 18+. It removes the speed limiter, allows for 100% throttle in Tour mode, levels out the Sport mode, keeps in the last mode selected upon restart and some other items I'm not aware of as I personally do not have the reflash. As to the company's ability and reliability, they are very good at what they do and have been doing it for quite a while.

#24 ·
I've been in aerospace quality control for 20+ years, so I'm particular when it comes to details, however small.
Like most small businesses, their website is most likely the first thing the majority of potential customers see, even those referred by word of mouth.
Having that 'public face' not working makes me question their concern for 'the details', and whether that lax concern permeates their primary business.
TD

Couldn’t agree with you more. The website for Russel Cycle Products comes to mind as I’ve been looking there a lot recently and in past years. Much of the info and pictures haven’t been updated in over 5 years. However! They seem to be the outlier and have almost nothing but great reviews for their product. I’m sending my pan to them next month.
I guess you just never know but overall, I’m with you, I’m a details guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#45 ·
Great write-up Grampi. I enjoyed reading that thank you. I can't remember the quarter mile numbers for the 2018 and up I think they were in the 11:00. What I do remember is it was .75 off my Ducati xdiavel at o to 60.
Great to have someone with your knowledge on the Forum.

#46 ·
I would never put down anyone that wanted to make changes like an ECM flash. Everyone should do what makes them happy. For me, one of the reasons I got my 2019 wing was to get out of the Harley world where I was basically obligated to do a stage 1, which included an after-ECM fuel management system or replacing the ECM and O2 sensors entirely with an aftermarket system like a Thundermax. Stock performance on my wing is night and day from my Ultra Classic, so I'm more than happy to leave well enough alone and spend my money on comfort upgrades like highway pegs, an aftermarket saddle, etc. Plus I'm old and chicken and don't need to get into triple-digit speeds :)

#48 ·
You be shocked how quick the limiter comes into play...I had a Thundermax and a couple TTS tuners along the way.

#50 ·
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I have reached 131 GPS after the flash and I had to scrub that run because of a Camaro pulling into my lane. It was still gaining, but very slowly.

#51 ·
I'm glad there is a ECU reflash available though I likely won't install it. I'm happy enough with the speeds I can get on my motorcycle as it is. Like Roadie, I once owned a 1984 Ninja 908. I bought it new in 1984. The boys at the shop almost wouldn't give it to me as mine was the first in the area, but I insisted. That motorcycle was an incredible machine and was very, very fast. I would pull the front end up almost before I knew it. I did ride that motorcycle at speeds exceeding the legal limit more often than not though I think I only ever hit about 135-140 mph tops and that got my attention. I really wish I would not have sold that bike, but I started a family and needed money. I am glad I got the speed bug out of my system early on as I enjoy a more sedate pace these days.

#68 ·
It's cultural - as the bike was designed in Japan, for sale inside the Japanese market (as well as export), Honda's just playing it safe and sticking to the "gentlemen's agreement" of 180 kph limits:

Reactions: Drgsin
#70 ·
Interesting thread. I have owned 4 BMW K1600's and the first two were extremely quick! The last two not so much especially my 2018. Lots of K1600 owners are getting their computers re-flashed but the cost is high in my book. Couple this with the fact you may lose that re-flash in the event of a dealer hook-up to the Mothership and it is a non-starter in my book. In that event the computer re-flash people will re-re-flash your computer but at a lessor cost. So all in all all this re-flashing is a waste of time to me. Ride the bike for what it is and if you don't like it buy something else. Let's face it there are many riders out in the world who shouldn't be on a motorcycle that can go over 40 MPH let alone 140 MPH. At my advanced years I have come to appreciate the ride more than the speed. Speed kills and always has. I always remember a fellow BMW rider who complained to the service advisor at the dealership that his Beemer wobbled at 140 MPH. The service advisor looked at him and said, "Do you REALLY think we are going to test ride your bike at 140 MPH?"

Rick H.

#76 ·
Reading all the different opinions and comments in this thread has been very interesting. One thing that is becoming apparent is that those riders choosing to do the ECM flash are doing so mainly for performance gains other than removal of the speed limiter....smoothing out sport mode performance, remembering what mode I left the bike in, etc. The removal of the speed limiter is just an added bonus. This makes sense to me, because if speed was a major motivator I would question the choice of a big tourer like the Goldwing. Even more interesting to me is the discussion about why this bike and others have speed limiters in the first place. Eleven months ago I might have had a different opinion, but if there is anything this last year has taught me it's that there is a fairly large percentage of the population that will never take the effect of their actions on their fellow members of society into consideration when making a decision. For this reason and sad as it may be, I don't necessarily disagree with forced compliance mechanisms like a speed limiter. When I'm on I-95 doing 75 mph in my car and get passed by a crotch rocket doing mach 2 and lane splitting, I literally shake when I think of what could have happened if I had picked that moment to move left just a foot or two and the mess it would have made of my life and the lives of those right around me, not to mention the crotch rocket rider. It's simply not fair.

#81 ·
In my area on the I95 often cars and trucks are doing 85 + and often some drivers are passing on the left at over 100. Florida has many out of state drivers and retired drivers that in the mix can be dangerous.

Often I and wife follow the idea to get into the traffic area that is less crowded and tend to move slightly faster than the flow of traffic to reduce being passed from the rear and on the right side.

For that reason having extra power and the ability to exceed the 2018 GW top speed for short bursts better allows for getting into and staying the the pocket of clean spaced out traffic. Wife's K1600 has no issue to do so ... my 2018 GW less so.

While the fiscal cost is high to change update the ECM ECU .... from a safety factor I feel it is the best for those that travel on at least some of the National Interstates (Such as in FL TX ....)

Fun group this forum and many smart people here.

Daytona 200 March 13 2021 1 PM Hope to see some of you there

#82 ·
Your assessment of I-95 is spot on. I'm a bit south of you on the Treasure Coast but same situation. My solution is a bit different though. I only travel I-95 on 4 wheels. I avoid it completely with the bike except for short stretches where there is no other alternative, like a road closure or traffic. If I'm on the bike I'm out for the ride, so I'll take secondary roads that take longer but are more interesting than an interstate. On two wheels I'm never in a hurry. I realize this isn't for everyone but it makes things more calm for me.

Wish I could take in the 200 and bike week this year but given the current pandemic situation with the variants out there I will hold off till Biketoberfest when more people are vaccinated. Too much of a potential for a super spreader event like bike week was in 2020. Haven't been since 2019. I miss it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.